Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Voltage Question

KertM

I have a question....How can jayrob and other people use the tiny hosts that just hold one 3.7v battery and use a driver? Don't most drivers require 2.25v over the required diode voltage for example phr's need like 5v so you should have an input of 7.25v?

DTR

I have a question....How can jayrob and other people use the tiny hosts that just hold one 3.7v battery and use a driver? Don't most drivers require 2.25v over the required diode voltage for example phr's need like 5v so you should have an input of 7.25v?

The microboost and flex drivers both boost voltage to match the needs of the diode. The flex driver has an added benefit of being able to buck the voltage down for diodes that require less voltage than the batteries are supping.

You can check the specification by reading the descriptions and user manuals on the product page.

Microboost
http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/Micro_BoostDrive.php

Micro Flexdrive
http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/Micro_FlexDrive.php

Last edited:
if you use a linear driver you need ~2.25V over but if you use a micro flex (sold out right now I think) or a micro boost you can have any voltage over 2.7Vin
because it is a boost driver instead of a buck/linear driver.
The bonus to those drivers is that they are so tiny, you can even fit them INSIDE the module with the diode.
Good luck with your build bro!
-Auto
*edit: Awww! you goat bastard, answered first and upstaged me all in one shot!!!
*nice answer* (gad dammut)

Last edited:

Things

Boost drivers take a lower voltage, and "boost" it up to the voltage required by the diode, but at the cost of more current draw from your batteries. For example, if you direct drive a diode, and it draws 500mA, then the current draw is 500mA at 3.7V, however if your diode needs 5V to work, the boost driver might draw 800mA at 3.7V, but only output 500mA to the diode.

This is due to the inefficiencies in the boosting cycle.