Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Voltage for red laser

Ok, I'm making a LPC-815 red laser at 50mW. I know what current to use, but not what voltage, is it possible to use 3v with a rkcstr? Or should I use 9v? And when I use the dummy load, I set it to "red", am I rong?
Thanks in advance!

[move]:p :'( :-* :-/ :-X :-[ ::) :-? :cool: :eek: :( :mad: ;D :D ;) :)[/move]

daguin

BuildAbluraylaser said:
Ok, I'm making a LPC-815 red laser at 50mW. I know what current to use, but not what voltage, is it possible to use 3v with a rkcstr? Or should I use 9v? And when I use the dummy load, I set it to "red", am I rong?
Thanks in advance!

The diode needs 3V and the Rkcstr needs 2.5V. You will need at least 5.5V to run this combination.

Peace,
dave

Ok thanks, i'll use a stack of 1.5 volt button cells.
Another question, where can you get cheap galvos (galvanometer) for a laser? Like 2 for 10$ including shipping? I'm not interested in building my own..

Button cells hardly last long with even cheapo keychain laser pointers. I can't imagine how long (short) it'll last with a higher powered laser. You might want to consider some better batteries.

A galvanometer? For current measurement I assume? People use multimeters for measuring current these days. I wouldn't go any cheaper than something like this one ($15 + shipping).

If you want a galvanometer for more exotic purposes they're certainly going to cost a bit. I've seen some at my local university's surplus for $10 or so. They were from the 1960s and 1970s. I grabbed one (actually a multimeter of that era) for nostalgia purposes.

I actually have a keychain laser that uses 3 lr44s with a lcc diode and it has been running very well for about 2 weeks (~2-5 minutes a day).

Edit: forgot to mention it doesn't use a driver.

Without a driver? I don't think so. But using a rkcstr driver I found that when I used a 9v my laser wouldn't burn stuff but when I gave it only 6v it burned like crazy. A 9v will work but I recommend you use a 6v battery

I am using a Rckstr driver, and can I use 2 X 3.7 volt batteries?

EDIT : Can I burn stuff at 50 mW?