Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Voltage Drop/ Laser Threshold??

Hey guys! How is everyone?
It's been a week since i've been on so I've been on the site to compensate for lost time during the week lol.

So I looked around today, learning on how to play around with the Ampage, Wattage and Voltage of a laser and learned alot about efficiency of diodes.

Two terms i've picked up though were Voltage drop and Threshold Current. I know voltage drop has to do with the amount of voltage lost, basically due to the system (all the conductors, contacts, internal resistors, etc), so can somebody explain to me how exactly you calculate this value when considering what voltage to use for a certain laser build (Not the lasers that you order, but the ones that you custom-make)?

As for Threshold current, I have NO idea what this is about. I just know that it plays a role in efficiency of the diode...

Thanks!

You really ought to do more reading, especially if you're asking about "voltage drop." Some basic electronics sites are pretty good for that information, especially how Ohm's law works, diodes, and all that. This really isn't the site for explaining stuff at that level.

For "threshold current" it might mean the minimum amount of current needed to cause the laser diode to lase. It's not a huge factor in efficiency, and you're rarely interested in it since most of the stuff you build is not at the threshold level.