Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Vintage Lasers & Holograms Exhibit in Tempe, AZ

Eidetical

After collecting lasers for a very long time, I've finally put together an exhibit showing the best of them that's open and free to the public. Called "Vintage Lasers & Holograms", it includes about 180 lasers with an equal number of related artifacts and a couple dozen holograms from the last century. There's also a working holography lab in the back.

There has never been a laser history museum, and I'm hoping to get a ball rolling in that direction. If in the Phoenix area, please stop by and check it out. It's only about 10 minutes from Sky Harbor Airport. The link in my signature gives more details. A good example of what's on display (and because I want to post a pic in this thread) is this extremely rare Bell Labs laser communication demonstration system called the Lecture Aid #224 that I picked up in LA last week. The head is a laser simulator, with wood mirror mounts and a glowing plasma tube with torch-sealed ends (no windows). An arc lamp is in the base, and a mirror hidden in the front mount send the light into the detector!:)

Bell Labs LA-224.jpg

Last edited:

Eidetical

If you wanted a laser 60 years ago, this is what you'd be lookin' at. The Sylvania model GL-6211 was one of the only gas lasers available then, before He-Ne was made to lase at visible wavelengths. Sold without a cover, but with a detector! :) This is one of the "Holy Grail's" for me. Imagine finding a complete system in someone's basement! o_O
Sylvania Laser Experimental.jpg
4.3GTE Sylvania Laser.jpg

Which holograms do you have? One I wanted from many years ago was about 24 inches square and showed a forest with a pair of binoculars out in front of the plate. If you placed your eyes there you would see a birds nest with baby birds in it. I could have purchased a copy for~$150, but didn't. Have kicked myself ever since.

Eidetical

Which holograms do you have? One I wanted from many years ago was about 24 inches square and showed a forest with a pair of binoculars out in front of the plate. If you placed your eyes there you would see a birds nest with baby birds in it. I could have purchased a copy for~$150, but didn't. Have kicked myself ever since.
I know of an 8x10" hologram by Greg Cherry of Cherry Optical like that, but nothing larger. There are a few microscope holograms out there with the same trick, a few stereopticons, and a few art works too (using variations on the trick). Don't have it, but you could contact Greg (Sebastopol, CA) and ask if he does.

My collection of holograms is at the second site in my signature (best viewed on a laptop, with screen width set as shown on the home page). One of the oldest is this one made for insertion into Laser Focus magazine in April, 1967.

2.2Laser Focus Hologram Image.jpg

Laser Focus Hologram.jpg

Eidetical

I am very pleased to see your dream becoming a reality.
Congratulations.
Thanks Dave. While the old NEC head you gave me is not in the exhibit (with only space for about 1/3 of the collection there), it's in a display case where I can appreciate its wonderful quartz resonator rods all the time. The goal for this exhibit is to stimulate interest in a proper, long-term museum for the whole group.

Nook Cabinet.jpg

Eidetical

Bringing a great old hologram into the "Vintage Lasers & Holograms" exhibit in Tempe, AZ, courtesy of Charles Hassen of Tucson. Stephen Benton's "Rind 2" has always been one of my favorite images from the '70s, and I've only seen it once before but can't remember where. Sheve Benton was the inventor of "Rainbow" holography, making transmission holograms viewable with white light sources. His "Rainbow" hologram is the type most used, as they can be embossed into foil or plastic (like on credit cards).

This piece is #18/24, is dated 1977 and signed by Steve. Despite being on display for much of the time since it was bought in 1987, it's in pristine condition. No indication of printout or delamination. Chuck included the signed letter of authenticity and receipt in the box taken with the hologram from Steve's lab.

I'll be adding more old holograms to the exhibit over the next few months. All are invited to come and visit, regardless of age, sex, color, religion, political beliefs, or identification as artist, scientist, technician, or hobbyist.

Rind 2.jpgRind 2 Box.jpg

18LJ

Shame I'm up north in Washington I'd lov eww yo check out the lasers and artwork. You ever sell any of the holograms or copies of ones you produced? I'm certain it wouldnt be too hard to sell some of em thru an ebay or etsy's store?