Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Videos from youtube you wish to share.

GSS

Oh yeah I watch Nicks Garage U tube vids all the time. I even posted and asked a few questions on them a few times and Nick Always gets back out of the 100's of posts. Maby cause he see's my Greek last name:unsure: Doubt it as he's seems like a really nice guy.
When you posted about the 350 Olds I was reminded of a build he did on the dyno testing a stock intake to a Edlebrock.
That is a sweet SS and don't kill me but I think all the 68 A body's look better than the 69's as all of the GM lines put a line across the grill:whistle:
It's so funny how street's around his shop are loaded with posi burnout strips:devilish:

Wanted to add that had to be a rare color combo on the 68. It just worked so well together.
I wouldn't think without some really fine tuning by Nick that 400hp was double, even with the headers and cam. He did mention bumping up the compression a bit though..

Last edited:

GSS

Love these vid's:)
I was going to say it strange one guy building the complete motor till I saw the individual's plaque at the end and I guess thats the norm custom ordered super cars..
Not a spec of dust in that plant. Curious why the choice of torque screw bolts at some components. I see issue's maby down the line when needing repair.
Is it the video or are those mains and rod journals huge? Red, what's the specs of this work of art? and is this bottom end similure to the LS7's?

Last edited:
The 2 crankshaft main caps are just assembly tools, look again at ( 4:50 ) in the video, the bottom half of the case/oil pan is substantial, the main caps are milled into the bottom half/oil pan as it's a split case design like a motorcycle, it serves as a crank brace but makes it a bitch to work on later as the front cover will have to come off to split the case, but did you see those heads, those ports are beautiful....well not the best I've ever seen but not bad and the intake air horns inside that engine top air box must sound awesome at WOT, also to use a split case like that it's either line bored in place before hand or and I bet this is the situation, the tolerances are very good and that bottom half is simply picked up from a stack, our old school iron blocks are line bored with the main caps in place and you must place each cap in it's specific place and facing the right direction, but I bet any bottom half from the 6.3L stack will fit any block and that means some good manufacturing tolerances.

p.s. Those Torx head bolts are no doubt hardened and work very well, they also use a lot of them to spread out the load and I see what looks like Loctite, when he places the bottom half on the mains you see him opening a bag of long bolts for the mains but they didn't show them being torqued down, all the peripheral bolts in that bottom half just add to the strength.

That engine is NA 500 and some odd HP for the 5 years ago AMG63, but here's a bi turbo AMG63 in action with only a 4.0L V8 and ....yes forced induction :)

Last edited:

GSS

Ok the bag with the bolts were for the bottom half cap mains. Yeah they did skip over a few operations on this build but still impressive..
Ive stripped my share of torque screw bolts but mostly on seat belt attaching ones:(
Those ports were sure impressive, and the intake was a series of massive looking trombones:p
Still confused a little of the bottom half and the jig being shown. I got to look at it again..

GSS

I can't believe just how smooth and tame these 1000+hp car's ride today.. and a ride that doesn't rattle your bones even with handling that sticks like glue to the road..
Ive got to re see the bottom vid to see if he hit the 346 km!
Wow at 10:30 ish in. 207+mph:)

Last edited:
Watch this 1000hp A8 rip off 0-185mph ( 0-297kph ) in 12 seconds with AWD traction control.
From timestamp 1:05 to 1:17 and from 0-125mph ( 0-200kph ) was an unreal 6 seconds.

Last edited:
Yea 0-60 in 6 seems fast to the average person when compared to it taking 10 seconds in their minivan the few times they ever held it too the floor, hell I would have taken that Audi out at about 3am and run it flat out until das radiator was der fuming and der puking it's guts out :D, hell I have ridden superbikes that do 70mph in 1st gear and that's a 2 second trip with a good launch, but these AWD cars are really something and when AWD electrics are the norm we will see some really fun 0-100mph on ramp mods that won't cost that much to do once the performance aftermarket's been in place for a while, I hope to see it soon but could be a decade away, but maybe in 5 years, we shall see.

GSS

We are closing in fast to where these somewhat daily driver super cars can't go any faster due to G's forces a human can take.
Red when do you think in the future that we cannot just go any quicker in acceleration? We cannot reach any speed at 0 seconds but thinking in 20 years the record setting increments will be measured in .000000000000000000001?

Oh we have a lot of traction issues to solve 1st, most " performance " cars from the factory are going to spin in 1st and some in 2nd before they can use the 500-650 hp on tap from the factory, well without the traction control but with the traction control we are still limited by the available grip, if 10 times gravity i.e. 10 G's is the limit, hell even 8 G's then we still have a long way to go and we also have to remember it's sustained G's that would be a problem, if and I am saying " IF " 1st gear could produce what ........ half a second at 10 G's how fast would we be going in that half second ?

Most likely if we ever achieved that level of traction and AWD electric motor power to tax such traction such that we experienced 10 G's of accel for even a second we would be talking most likely about a gearless drivetrain with a lot of electronic control to maintain traction given the highly variable roadway conditions and the speeds we would achieve in that 1st second would be triple digit I would expect, look at an aircraft carrier catapult. 0 - 165 MPH in 2.0 seconds and I think that's with a moment at 5 G's if even that ......EDIT It's 3 G's with a momentary peak at 4 in some cases.

And what's a top fuel dragster doing, something like 0 - 325 MPH in 4.0 seconds and that's only a few G's IINM .......... I would say that we would have to be on a prepared surface like the top fuel dragster or on a rail like the catapult to reach even half the 10G limit for just a second or two, and the speeds achieved under such G load would be self limiting if it were even possible in a street car, so I think that G load won't be the limiting factor, at least not for normally healthy people. It was an interesting thought though. :)

---edit---

According to this page top fuel dragsters average 4 G's on a prepared surface and can hit 8 G's at the start for a moment but look at what it takes to do that just in fuel >>>> http://www.sccoia.org/articles/top-fuel-dragster-fast-facts/

---edit---

Maybe in the future when we can command a lot more battery power cars might have ducted fans to produce computer controlled down force in race car and possibly sports car applications that could aid low speed/starting line traction, then we might also see acceleration limited to what the human occupants can withstand, I would love to live long enough to see it evolve.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
With bump keys and automatic lock picks crooks can easily defeat common home locksets, but look at this design, how cool is this >

GSS

Red, I got to remember you always edit and come back as you add more wicked fun facts..
Just saw the edits:):)

Did you ever see video of rocket sled testing ? The human body can tolerate a lot for a short duration and it was the sudden decelerations that injured testers early on when they used a water break to slow down fast, the massive acceleration force was not the problem but very hard deceleration caused some temporary retina detachment, but short bursts of acceleration G load were not a problem, sustained G load can cause unconsciousness which is a problem if say steering the vehicle, I expect someday there will be a roadway limit for public safety, hopefully it won't be too unreasonable but everything changes.

Last edited: