Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Video: $8 63mW eBay 405nm burner

This is the standard sub $8 "5mW" 405nm slightly modified. I popped the end cap off and adjusted the plastic aixiz lens down to a fine point.
Next, I tossed the 2 AAA batteries (which made 51mW btw) and cut the barrel down rather than making a spacer and am now running one 10440 lithium 3.7v (peak charge 4.3v) battery. This is the result.

dwXA431

And here is a quick video showing it in action.

Disregard the low quality picture and portrait style video. This was all done (including this post) from my iPhone 4. Picture taken and uploaded to dropbox, linked here. Vid shot in 720 and uploaded to YouTube and linked.

UPDATE

a8H050H

saxvTfN

3DC5cAM

Z8BR7wB

Not bad for less than eight bucks! I have a different aixiz lens and focusing ring on the way.

Total cost of laser, aixiz lens and focusing ring and battery is just over $10. :beer:

Last edited:

Nice, your the 2nd one that I have seen that has done this. I tried to get one of mine apart, but there is a lot of thread lock in it and I didn't want to screw it up.

The first one I tried turning the lens CCW and ended up turning the whole module which twisted the driver board and knocked the button off from the circuit board. I've done several since then an have had zero issues. I know a lot of the ones shipped several months ago came with a plastic lens assembly. This one uses a plastic lens with a brass threaded housing. As have all the others since this one that I have ordered. I love my 1+ watt lasers but these little guys are awesome. I don't plan to stop building them any time soon!
Give it another shot. Let me know if you need any help.

Both of mine have all plastic and lots of thread lock. I tried to turn either one and couldn't.

I haven't had to deal with one of those yet. How long ago did yo order? Did you get it from itemquickship? Hopefully I don't get shy of those!

1 from itemquickship and the other is from Wlaser.
I have some solvent or acetone but I don't want to melt the plastic.

Last edited:
How long ago did you buy them? If you do ruin the lens with solvent, the aixiz is 40 cents and 50 cents for the focus ring.

I got 1 in June and the other one in Sept or Oct. Yeah I could just a new lens, Just haven't had the time since I have been working 65 to 70 hours a week.

thats awesome. Ive got literally a few dozen of those...I will be investing in 10440 batteries and a spacer!

Have you tried the battery with a newwish greenie?

Yes I have. The 532nm that I've got put out 15mW max with two fresh AAA batteries and 34mW with a full charge 10440. However with either battery option, power output is very unstable.

Rather than a spacer you should consider cutting the barrel for a nice finish and custom touch. Also, you will need to focus the beam in order to burn. If you paid shipping both ways I would be happy to LPM a batch of 405's with AAA's and a 10440 with my custom barrel fitted to your units to find the ones which will yield the greatest benefit with my mods. I could even install a 405nm aixiz lens and focus ring for a small fee. The focus rings and lens' will be here early next week.

Last edited:
Yes I have. The 532nm that I've got put out 15mW max with two fresh AAA batteries and 34mW with a full charge 10440. However with either battery option, power output is very unstable.

Rather than a spacer you should consider cutting the barrel for a nice finish and custom touch. Also, you will need to focus the beam in order to burn. If you paid shipping both ways I would be happy to LPM a batch of 405's with AAA's and a 10440 with my custom barrel fitted to your units to find the ones which will yield the greatest benefit with my mods. I could even install a 405nm aixiz lens and focus ring for a small fee. The focus rings and lens' will be here early next week.

I appreciate the offer but im looking more to just tinker with a few of these. Im planning a 12x BR so the only thing im after on these little guys is seeing a brighter dot.

The blue I have however burn as is if you focus them through a lens....these cheapies are one hell of a bargain.

The lens mod and focus ring will only run you five bucks if you would like it done. No more focusing with an external lens. :beer:

OFF TOPIC WARNING: the following videos are of a eBay 532 pen.

Btw here you go. I did a quick 1 min LPM run of the 532 with 2x AAA and another with 1x 10440 partially charged at 3.3v. This is the best measurement I've gotten with AAA batteries. EDIT: I should note that these measurements were taken without a IR filter.

2x AAA

And here with 1x 10440

Last edited:
Same laser. Only difference is rather than using spacers, I cut the barrel down to fit just one 10440. All I did in the video was swap barrels.