Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Using the switchboard from a salvaged green pointer.

Sponge

I want to use the driver I salvaged from a broken green pointer as a switchboard. But there is also a tiny led that I want to keep on there functioning for emission indicator purposes. Is this possible at all? And if so, which components do I keep/remove. Pics below.

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

The driver boards for greens are made for powering infrared laser diodes, not red, violet, or blue laser diodes. Unless you're planning on powering another infrared laser, it's going to be useless to you. Also, there isn't a "standard" board configuration for those. I've bought green lasers where, within the same order, two of the lasers with the same power rating had different boards. Who even knows what those chips do, or what their models are. It'd be better if you learned how the circuit worked yourself through reverse engineering it rather than rely on some guesses from us.

Sponge

I'm not going to be using this as a driver if thats what you meant. I just only need the switch it has, and maybe the smd led. Also, I can't say for sure, but if I removed all the components but the switch, it would look like the blank boards with switch that jayrob sells with his pen hosts.

Thanks for the help though!

daguin

Does the LED work without a load being on the driver? If so, simply insulate/isolate the driver and wire the battery/switch/LD separately.

If it will not work without a load, does the LED work with full battery power? If it does, you can remove the electronics from the driver and wire a separate power path just to the LED.

If it needs a load and must have the battery voltage bucked, I cannot think of a way to use it.

Peace,
dave