Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Using lasers to measure water level

Use a rod that goes up with the increase of water which will obstruct the path of a horizontal laser line. When that rod gets too low it will stop obstructing it, thus changing the state of the sensor.

If you need a drawing let me know.

This will work only if you can add something into the tank besides water.

Use a rod that goes up with the increase of water which will obstruct the path of a horizontal laser line. When that rod gets too low it will stop obstructing it, thus changing the state of the sensor.

If you need a drawing let me know.

This will work only if you can add something into the tank besides water.

Yeah... niko...

All you need is a float....

That is the about the simplest/cleanest solution using a Laser/Detector pair
to detect a predetermined water level... I like it..

When all else fails use the principle of KISS...;)

Jerry

The KISS-Principle: Something I never quite mastered, I have to say...

Never mind, if it works, it should do it, and the simpler the better. Unless the inside of the tank is sealed, this is our best bet.

Now all we need is the thread starter to chime back in :D

I am not a physics major or a university student and appreciate applying lasers to measure the quantity of water in a container....

However.. I'm just curious. Could you use a float on top of the water to reflect back the beam? or measure the deviation in vertical position of a float on top of the water using a laser?

edit: here I am feeling smart, when two posts above me a float is mentioned. :)

JLodge

It sounds like you are over-complicating things. If you are trying to build a sensor for personal use and are on a tight time schedule, you may want to consider just buying it. Not only will this save you time, but it will likely save you stress, and possibly even money (not wasting materials for something that may end up not even working).

One option is a water level sensor here: http://vegetronix.com/Products/AquaPlumb/

This sensor is relatively cheap, and it is supposed to be highly accurate. Although I admire you for trying to build a DIY project, I find that it is sometimes just easier to let someone else do the taxing work.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Laser ................. Light Sensor

Tank
|--------------------------------|
| Water\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ |

The laser is in a fixed position in the top left corner.
The laser shines down at an angle, the light sensor reads the reflated light.