Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Using laser pointers outdoors

So recently, i had ordered a $21CAD 532 200mw green laser pointer. I had no idea what i was ordering and just ordered one that seemed cheap. After some research it seems safety glasses are important to have but i dont want to have to use those... If i hadn't already ordered the 200mw i would of ordered a 5mw since they are safer than a 200mw... will i be ok using the cheap 200mw ONLY outdoors and being careful of reflective surfaces? :thinking:

Razako

You 'should' be fine using a 200mw green laser outside without safety glasses so long as you avoid any nearby reflective surfaces. Not pointing it at anything within 50 feet of you would be a good guideline, and make sure you avoid vehicles, people, airplanes, etc.

Last edited:

diachi

So recently, i had ordered a $21CAD 532 200mw green laser pointer. I had no idea what i was ordering and just ordered one that seemed cheap. After some research it seems safety glasses are important to have but i dont want to have to use those... If i hadn't already ordered the 200mw i would of ordered a 5mw since they are safer than a 200mw... will i be ok using the cheap 200mw ONLY outdoors and being careful of reflective surfaces? :thinking:

Keep in mind that many of the lasers advertised as "5mW" are in fact far more than 5mW. You need to go with a good supplier and spend extra cash to get a true 5mW.

If you are going to become active in the forum, I'd like to recommend.... Did I get ya? Agreed, few of those cheap "5" mw green DPSS laser pointers are below 35 mw, some as high as 100 mw.

I made a huge mistake by ordering a laser on a website that i did not read reviews on. I just saw that it was cheap and ordered it. I just wanted a cheap laser to use safely but didnt do any research until after i ordered them..

Encap

So recently, i had ordered a $21CAD 532 200mw green laser pointer.
????
Why no Welcome post in the Welcome sub-forum and what you say does not smell right--makes no sense. It would have been $30.44CAD.
The price was $21.99 USD not CAD.
Apparently you do not know what currency you used and/or what country you are in. either.
So did you actually purchase or were you just promoting that scammers garbage web site that misrepresents everything on it?

I just wanted a cheap laser to use safely but didnt do any research until after i ordered them..
Any laser over 5mW is not considered eye safe by USA standards or Canadian standards ---1mW in many other countries.
Actually a 5mW laser can cause eye damage. A 5 mW laser aimed directly into the eye won’t cause damage instantaneously. A person’s reflexes to look away, blink, or make other involuntary movements are protective. But if you keep your eyes open and stare into a 5 mW beam, it will cause damage. A higher-powered laser gives you less time to look away before injury can occur, and as power increases, eye damage may happen in a microsecond, even when looking at a beam reflection

Here is an eye hazard chart: http://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png
Excellent laser safety web site with everything you never wanted to know about lasers and safe use
see: Laser Pointer Safety - A comprehensive resource, for safe and responsible laser use

Last edited:

naruto

I think 200mw green laser can be used outdoors safely, as long as you avoid those reflective surfaces, you will find high power laser will give you a lot of fun.
Of course, wearing anti-goggles is very necessary when you use it in the house.