Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Using laser pointer outside

I love using my green pointer outside when it's dark. It makes a clearly visible beam.

The problem is that I don't want to accidentaly hit a plane, inside someones living room, pedestrians and so on. If that should happen it could have very serious consequences.

I guess it's less of a problem if you do the lasing where it's not a lot of people or stuff to worry about, or if your outside your home.

My pointer is surely illegal where I live, so it's best to avoid any complications.

One other problem could be people calling the police just because they saw you using it.

Do you guys think about this, and how do you deal with it?

No... I don't need to think about it...
I try to stay indoors with my Lasers..

Jerry

diachi

Sort of hard to accidentally illuminate someone's living room, not as if houses just spring up out of nowhere. Same for pedestrians, they are strictly limited to being on the ground so you've got a pretty good idea of where they'll be from that alone.

As for planes, doesn't hurt to familiarize yourself with local flights paths, and remain vigilant. Point in areas of the sky where you can see the surrounding airspace clearly. Aircraft have navigation lights so they should be rather hard to miss at night.

I love using my green pointer outside when it's dark. It makes a clearly visible beam.

The problem is that I don't want to accidentaly hit a plane, inside someones living room, pedestrians and so on. If that should happen it could have very serious consequences.

I guess it's less of a problem if you do the lasing where it's not a lot of people or stuff to worry about, or if your outside your home.

My pointer is surely illegal where I live, so it's best to avoid any complications.

One other problem could be people calling the police just because they saw you using it.

Do you guys think about this, and how do you deal with it?

Norway's regulation for laser pointers. https://translate.googleusercontent...litiet&usg=ALkJrhi_yU8vbZ10QM1Ml_HpQnJNGo3UAQ

You have three options I see. 1. Hide in your house. 2. Submit an approval form. 3. Move to a laser friendly country.

Sort of hard to accidentally illuminate someone's living room, not as if houses just spring up out of nowhere. Same for pedestrians, they are strictly limited to being on the ground so you've got a pretty good idea of where they'll be from that alone.

:crackup::crackup:.... ROFLMAO...:crackup::crackup:

Jerry

As for planes, doesn't hurt to familiarize yourself with local flights paths, and remain vigilant. Point in areas of the sky where you can see the surrounding airspace clearly. Aircraft have navigation lights so they should be rather hard to miss at night.

It's not that hard if you're careful, but it's easy to lose beam control, and then things like that could happen.

I'm picturing a high powered hose flying around, but with a laser coming out of it :crackup:

I just try to be really careful. Mostly I use mine inside, or for a short time outside after carefully planning where I point it. I have a main airline path going right over my house, but I just look around to be sure no planes are in sight before pointing in the sky. I don't point across roads, just at trees or fences.

KMitch

What I do is not recommended, but it's the best balance I can find between fun and safety. I go out to a golf course after 2 am, when there is little chance of a plane or helicopter flying overhead. I point at the trees, which are pretty tall in my area and I enjoy the beam that way. One thing to note is that laser light is no longer coherent after scattering off air molecules, therefore the beam will get dramatically weaker the further you move away from it. Someone on the road outside may just see a dot, but they cannot tell where it's coming from. One other thing I'll say is that you should make sure that there are no reflective objects in the path of the beam (or even anywhere near it). I scoped out the entire area in the daytime for metal structures, walking paths...etc, and found nothing. Again, we're supposed to be responsible owners here and I have to recognize this as a bad practice, but at the same time we also have to acknowledge the reality that people aren't going to follow the safest methods.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
KMitch, if anyone asks why you're on the course at 2am just tell em you like golfing at night, and your going to lose your balls anyway. ;)
Actually, other than golf course personnel not approving of you being there, a golf course sounds like an ideal outdoor area for lasering!

BTW - Nice to hear from you again KMitch! :yh:

Last edited:

KMitch

KMitch, if anyone asks why you're on the course at 2am just tell em you like golfing at night, and your going to lose your balls anyway. ;)
Actually, other than golf course personnel not approving of you being there, a golf course sounds like an ideal outdoor area for lasering!

It's funny you say that, because I had to talk to the police last year while I was out with my laser. I found a man face down on the golf course at around 3 am, barely breathing. I called 911, and the paramedics came 10 minutes later, driving down the golf course in two vehicles before getting out and scanning the area with flashlights. About 10-12 came in total, and they started lightly kicking the man in the butt to wake him. They thought he was dead because he was completely unresponsive, and I was forced to stay. Finally they got him up, but he didn't know what city he was in or even the year.

Last edited:

diachi

We have midnight golf here in the summer when it's still light enough at midnight to go golfing. :D

Encap

:crackup::crackup:.... ROFLMAO...:crackup::crackup:

Jerry

( lasersbee ) :crackup: lol

Ditto :crackup:

"easy to lose beam control" ?

Hard to believe it is anything but Trolling.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Diachi, your response is classic. :D
Wait, you didn't account for the pedestrians wearing jetpacks and motorhomes. :whistle:

Also on a side note, I thought that name sounded familiar.

Member: Don't Laze Me Bro

Last edited:

It's not that hard if you're careful, but it's easy to lose beam control, and then things like that could happen.

:wtf:That makes no sense at all....:thinking:

Jerry