Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Useful, even after the fact..

So i got my hands on the (in)famous 140 type projector that we all know and love, after the LDs had been harvested out of it.

Theres a pretty good assortment of useful junk left in one of these things.. A couple micro steppers, a couple NeFeB bar magnets (in the lens cap) 4 wickedly powerful tiny fans, a (quite powerful) monolithic red LED.. (Dunno the power yet, plan to do some testing), a pair of blue-passing dichros, an array of first surface mirrors in various shapes and sizes.. Tons of coated lens elements, including a double concave..

Oh, and a Peltier array. (Thermoelectric module) I've taken it to ~3.8V, 1A, and with a fan on the heatsink on the hot side, the cold side got close to icing.. Always neat to play with :)

These things are a bit of a treasure trove for misc. optical, and electronic stuff.

I have a hard time throwing all the rest of this stuff away, a lot of it could come in very useful for laser builds.. (Fans, and TEMs especially for lab builds)

Pretty cool stuff..

So, has anyone else used the offal from these beasts in builds?

Well, I'm sure I could search, but I was trying to get a discussion going..

Can't blame a guy for trying :)

Last edited:

Fiddy

Are you serious? Dude...read on the forums ffs.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/9-amp-pt-54-phlatlight-maglite-mod-64054.html

the VERY FIRST sticky in the "Experiments & Modifications" section...

LoL

Duck-Sauce-Charlie-Sheen-Spinstyles-Bi-Winning-Edit.jpg

You could make an interesting red spotlight setup if you wanted.

Perhaps you could jimmy up a beam expander for a laser you already have.

USB drink cooler?

I'm actually thinking about digging up a couple old CPU heatsinks, and seeing if I can get one or two of these TEMs to keep a small cooler chilled..

I know it won't be ice cold, but it would be neat to have a solid-state cooler..

(Yes, I know they're available commercially, but dammit if it isnt more fun to do it yourself from harvested hardware, LOL )

TEMS maybe you mean TECs?
funny
I buy the drink coolers when very cheap on FeeBay that run from PC usb and take them apart to cool lasers & LEDs and you want to do the oppposite!

TEMS maybe you mean TECs?
funny
I buy the drink coolers when very cheap on FeeBay that run from PC usb and take them apart to cool lasers & LEDs and you want to do the oppposite!

Yeah, I meant TECs.. Heh.. For some reason I kept thinking "Thermo-electric Module"

Oh, I doubt I'll actually do it, I was just thinking it might be neat to try..

I have plans for these TECs. Cooling a lab-style head for continuous duty-cycle..

Eventually, I want to try and build an X-Y Cnc etcher, or burner.. Do some woodburning art and such.

But theres a long way between here and there :D