Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Upgrading from lurker

Miharu

Hello all, after lurking and browsing threads here on-and-off for a couple of years as a non-member, I decided to take the plunge and actually make an account. I'm a 31-year-old graduate student in physics, and my area of research is astrophysics. I am mainly interested in lasers for astronomy purposes. At the moment, I have one 30mw and one 50mw laser, both of which are 532nm - kind of a boring color, but good for seeing at night.

Have been looking at getting a 488nm laser since I love the color, but all I've seen available so far are ones with toggle switch at the bottom, whereas I'd prefer a momentary side switch, so haven't acquired one yet. (If I'm being completely honest, my main purpose in joining was really to see if any members here might have the solution to that dilemma.)

Anyway, since I've finally joined, I figured the next step was to post here and say hi to everybody!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Miharu. :)
There are members on here that can build lasers for you.
That way you get what you want and can get hold of something unique.
Enjoy your stay! (y)

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to the forums! Really cool that you are studying astrophysics, an area I am very interested in and considering studying. Unfortunately I haven't seen any 488 lasers with a momentary side button yet apart from custom builds. The one I have is the rear switch pocket from Sanwu. Best bet would be a custom build from a member here or buy the parts and assemble yourself.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, Miharu!

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay here.

As has been previousely mentioned, we have some members who could make you a momentary, side switch 488nm laser.

Welcome. You should know that the Sharp laser diode used to make 488nm can actually be anywhere from 487nm to 493nm. Above 488nm it looks more green than blue and unless you have a binned diode, one that has been measured for its wavelength, you cannot be sure of what you're getting. Enjoy your stay and stay safe.

Welcome to the forum.
I also love the 488-492nm wavelength diodes, nice tight beams too.
Enjoy LPF and always stay safe.

Miharu

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! :D

There are members on here that can build lasers for you.
That way you get what you want and can get hold of something unique.

Best bet would be a custom build from a member here or buy the parts and assemble yourself.

As has been previousely mentioned, we have some members who could make you a momentary, side switch 488nm laser.

Who might you recommend I talk to? In my time lurking here, I have seen Rich mentioned a few times a person who makes customs builds and does great work (and I have seen his thread in the buy/sell/trade forum), but I'm not sure who else does these sorts of things.

Welcome. You should know that the Sharp laser diode used to make 488nm can actually be anywhere from 487nm to 493nm. Above 488nm it looks more green than blue and unless you have a binned diode, one that has been measured for its wavelength, you cannot be sure of what you're getting.

Thanks! I actually was aware of that already, through my previous lurkings on the site, but I appreciate you taking the time to let me know in case I didn't! :) I am hoping I'll be lucky enough to get one on the bluer side...

I was the one who originally binned these diodes for members here that sold them to other members by wavelength. I have binned many of the Sharp diodes from 473nm all the way to 510nm. Many dozens of diodes. If you would like to have a diode measured for wavelength I would be happy to do so. I only ask that you cover the cost of shipping it. My services come free from charge.

GSS

Welcome!:)
Like a few had mentioned there's a couple great builders here.. As of lately there seems to be only 2 builders that will custom build and quickly,, but always top notch..
Look at member "Lifetime17' sales thread.. There is a really sweet white powder coated AL host with a nice side momentary switch..
It's I believe the 3rd pic of some of his host's he shows.. To me it would look awsome with a 488..

Last edited:
Hi
Welcome to LPF here are a number of great folks.
If your interested in a 488 momentary side button I have a host read for the diode, driver and lens. See my sales signature click on the pics. I also have 488 diodes or you can purchase them from DTR and have it shipped here and I will build it
Great introduction by the way don’t see many of those around here to often
Rich:)

Miharu

I was the one who originally binned these diodes for members here that sold them to other members by wavelength. I have binned many of the Sharp diodes from 473nm all the way to 510nm. Many dozens of diodes. If you would like to have a diode measured for wavelength I would be happy to do so. I only ask that you cover the cost of shipping it. My services come free from charge.

That's really kind of you! Thanks for the offer; I will keep it in mind.

Hi
Welcome to LPF here are a number of great folks.
If your interested in a 488 momentary side button I have a host read for the diode, driver and lens. See my sales signature click on the pics. I also have 488 diodes or you can purchase them from DTR and have it shipped here and I will build it
Great introduction by the way don’t see many of those around here to often
Rich:)
Heeeeey Rich! :D I was hoping you'd drop by. I think it might be better to discuss details in-depth elsewhere, so I sent you a conversation message.

Welcome Miharu,
Glad to hear that you've upgraded from a lurker.
The people here are super friendly.
I'm from Downunder and I can attest to having dealt with a lot of members here and so far each deal has been fantastic.
Needless to say, Rich is a first-class gentleman and dealing with him has been an absolute joy.

I'm into Astro too and do a lot of astro-photography.
Even though I have a collection of lasers I still love my little 532nm 50mW as a pointer.

Cheers
RB