Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Unregulated Lasers

Hi all,

I just joined this forum and I can't seem to search for my query using the search function. I hope my query has never come up before coz I know how irritating it is to keep seeing the same question popping up again & again.

Anyways, what I wanted to ask is: do commercial red lasers that use 3xLR44 have voltage regulators or drivers or anything? Or do they just use a laser module like the one from DX (SKU: 5900; sorry I don't have permission to post links yet) and connect the red & black wires to the batteries?

Switch

If you're talking about the cheapo 1-5mW reds, all I saw on the driverboards they have is a resistor or two....I don't think they have any regulation.The sku 5900 is probably the same.

the junky red pointers available everywhere just use a small resistor to regulate the current somewhat, that's about it

Wow! Quick replies!

So are those laser pointers ok to use then? Will the diode burn out fast? I would like to salvage those cheapo laser pointers to get the modules out for another project. Haha!

One more thing about the SKU 5900. It says 9mm. Is that the length of the entire module?

Switch

You can use the modules for another diode but you'll gonna need a new driver for it.A driver for 5mW isn't gonna do a good job on a highpowered one ::) 9mm is the thickness of the module.

Huh? You mean the module is not the one that produces the laser?

What if I don't need a high powered one? I just need it to produce a dot for presentations. Haha! Seems like people here are very into modifying and burning things with their lasers... which is cool, but not suited for my project.

Now, can anyone tell me where to get the smallest module? Actually, I need a short one. 2cm ones from DX might do the trick, but just wondering if there're shorter ones. ;)

So the module on DX, SKU 5900, has a Laser Diode, a driver, and focussing all inbuilt right? If I get that, all I need to do is connect batteries to it. Yes?

I want laser pointers, yes, but not in the keychain rod forms they have on DX, nor the pen style ones... nor the huge ass kind used in labs. Haha! I dunno what's the smallest I can get but I want it real small. I'm still looking though. =)

Alright! Thanks Ifrgtmyname... =) That's more or less all I needed to know. I'm not looking to fit it somewhere so I can up the output. Haha! But thanks anyways. Maybe when I'm done with my project, I could post up what I did... haha!