Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

unknown Ebay laser problem

Thinklasers is a division of Wicked Lasers, so buying from them will do you no good.
ThinkGeek is a whole different story.. They have nice lasers, but they are incredibly overpriced.
I'm not too up-to-date with where to buy reliable cheap (oxymoron?) lasers anymore, so I would go with some of the recommendations from above. Although I have heard good things about princeangels, I've never actually bought from them so I can't vouch for them.

I have a GREEN E2 and it's a nice laser with very good beam characteristics. It was ordered from WL direct.. but this was before the Arctic issue. I also have an Arctic and went through the same thing everyone else did.. Ordered it in the middle of June and got it in the middle of October. I'd order from wicked again but wouldn't expect quick shipping.

Reactions: ARG
I bought 2 5mw green pointers from ebay. Both have same problem, which from what I have read, is common with these cheap green lasers.
When first turned on, dim for a second, then bright for a short time, then dim again. From then on each time it is turned on, a bright .5 sec flash, then very dim again.
I was using recharageable batteries, I changed to several sets of Duracell alkalines with same result. Current in all cases was about 350 ma.
After quite a bit of experimenting, I said "aw what the heck" and connected 3 AAA recharageable batteries. 1 second or less dim, then WHAM, it's a great green laser, but current is around 500 ma. I have been playing with it all evening and the thing is still working great.
Since I am retired, I do not have access to test equipment any more.
Has anyone else experienced this, done any experimenting or testing especially in the area of LASER LIFE or OUTPUT POWER. I don't expect this unit to last very long being overdriven at this current and I don't want to harm anyone's eyes or burn holes in anything.

Reactions: ARG