Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

unknown Ebay laser problem

Hi,
I bought a green laser pointer from ebay for $20. and for a while, it was satifyingly bright.

But over time it started to get dimmer. then I realised it had to be warmed up. but then it slowly died. and now nothing works.

I bought another laser like it but it did the same thing.

What is wrong with these ebay lasers??? Do they all do this?

Reactions: ARG

Welcome to the Forum.:)

That is a sign of the diode being over driven or was mod hoping before it died or a bad aliment over time. Did you pot mod it.??? How many mW was the laser when you bought it.?

Some Green laser need a warm up period. But they should not die right after that.

I have an ebay laser that was rated for 5mW that puts out 15mW after a warm up period and hold steady at 15mW and i had it for over 6 months. That does not mean that every ebay laser will act like mine.

How long did you have it for.?

Last edited:

No i didnt pot mod anything although i was aware of the techqunique, i tried it when they died.

It was rated for 5mw, but it has no IR filter so it may be higher output.

And I've had it for less than a month is $20 expensive for 5mw? was I ripped off?

Blord

$20 for 5mw laser is ok reasonable. Did you change the battery ? You didn't mentioning that in the begin post.

With 5mW the pen don't get hot anyway. I doubt the diode died so quickly.

20 Bucks for a 5mW laser from ebay is a rip off IMO.:scowl: If you were to get it from good website like O-like than it is a very good price.

If i was in your situation i would contact the seller and tell them what happened. Even Ebay laser should last longer then a month. You might get lucky and they will replace both of them well at the very least the most recent one.:eek:

So contact the seller and see if you can get replacements because thats not right for them to die in less then a month.

If you want a good cheap Green laser for a low budget and the power will be on point then O-Like is a great company.:)

>>>HERE<<<

For the amount of money you spent on 2 ebay lasers that was 40$ you could have bought a good >50mW Possibly that it would be over spec, or for sure be on point for less then 40$.

Check these 2 out.

New cute pocket Green laser 50mW /adjustable [OLCGL50] - $34.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Pocket compact Green laser 50mW [OLPG50] - $28.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

IsaacT

He won't be able to get a replacement now, since he apparently tried potmodding it after it died....that usually voids ANY warranty.

IsaacT

Well if an ebay seller would replace a laser for dying, if there was evidence of tampering that would be cause for them to not replace it. Thus, even if it is just an informal warranty, tinkering with it cancels the understanding that the seller stands behind his product.

20 Bucks for a 5mW laser from ebay is a rip off IMO.:scowl: If you were to get it from good website like O-like than it is a very good price.

If i was in your situation i would contact the seller and tell them what happened. Even Ebay laser should last longer then a month. You might get lucky and they will replace both of them well at the very least the most recent one.:eek:

So contact the seller and see if you can get replacements because thats not right for them to die in less then a month.

If you want a good cheap Green laser for a low budget and the power will be on point then O-Like is a great company.:)

>>>HERE<<<

For the amount of money you spent on 2 ebay lasers that was 40$ you could have bought a good >50mW Possibly that it would be over spec, or for sure be on point for less then 40$.

Check these 2 out.

New cute pocket Green laser 50mW /adjustable [OLCGL50] - $34.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Pocket compact Green laser 50mW [OLPG50] - $28.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Actually, I was thinking of buying this laser, I cotacted the people via chat and Im satisfied with what they got.

Does anyone disagree with this purchase? I've never bought from them before.

E2 Series from Wicked Lasers - Evolution Pro Series

Well if an ebay seller would replace a laser for dying, if there was evidence of tampering that would be cause for them to not replace it. Thus, even if it is just an informal warranty, tinkering with it cancels the understanding that the seller stands behind his product.
oh =P. my bad.

Actually, I was thinking of buying this laser, I cotacted the people via chat and Im satisfied with what they got.

Does anyone disagree with this purchase? I've never bought from them before.

E2 Series from Wicked Lasers - Evolution Pro Series

If you want to go with that laser please be advise that you will be waiting a long time for it. Wicked Lasers Shipping right now is really bad.

You probably wont see that laser in till some time next year.

Im still waiting for my laser from them that i ordered in June.:crackup:

I would avoid wicked lasers especially right now. I dont think ive read a single decent report on them recently. If you just want a decent pointer go with priceangles true output lasers. If you want a great pointer go with dragon lasers or optotronics etc. ray foss has some decent pointers as well. Just search those names in google.

If you want to go with that laser please be advise that you will be waiting a long time for it. Wicked Lasers Shipping right now is really bad.

You probably wont see that laser in till some time next year.

Im still waiting for my laser from them that i ordered in June.:crackup:

I am also aware of another site, it sells the same stuff same price, asked about the shipping and they said it would be here around Nov.21st.

Should I take their word for it? do you think this site is better?

E2 Evolution Fusion Green Laser Pointer

I would trust thinkgeek more than wicked lasers. Think geek atleast has customer support. You could give them a try. I'm sure it can't hurt.