Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Unfocused laser beam.

Is an unfocused 300mW 650nm laser safe to look at? I'm not talking about shining it in my eyes or anything, but what about using it as a pointer?

the more spread out the beam is the less the intensity of the light at a given point.

You're planning on using a 300mW red laser as a pointer? Also, by unfocused, do you mean without a second collimating lens to focus the laser, or without the primary collimating lens that tightens the beam?

You're planning on using a 300mW red laser as a pointer? Also, by unfocused, do you mean without a second collimating lens to focus the laser, or without the primary collimating lens that tightens the beam?

Not planning, just wondering, and without the collimating lens or with the point focused to infinity.

I'm curious, what's the difference between a collimated beam and one focused to infinity? :)

I think with 300mW you'd have a huge dot before it's relatively safe. If you use it as a pointer, why not a lower power? points just as good.

udanis

Yeah to have a 300mW safe it would be more like a spot light rather than a pointer.