Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Umbilical for Argon

Howdy all!
As one of my many laser projects I have put on my table....gluttony in excess;)...I am trying to set-up my argon for easier use in my cramped room.

I would like to put my PSU and Fan a bit farther from the tube. As of now the umbilical is only 1 foot or so from tube to PSU.

What i'm wondering is if anyone knows if a extension for these umbilicals is available?
Here is a photo showing the constraints of the set-up.
Thanks much for any input:beer:

IMG_5706.jpg
[/IMG]

I have never seen one, but the may exist.--Funny thing about that- I have 2 argon heads that have nearly 12 feet of umbilical-- i always wished there was some way to make it shorter--just the opposite of ur prob. lol

Last edited:
Yeah, my...'non-working'....argon has a good 2-2.5 feet of umbilical which would be just about perfect.
Now, it did cross my mind for a moment to strip it off that tube and try to make one, but truthfully i'm not sure i'm up to the task, or really want to trash that tube quite yet.

We'll see, perhaps someone has a good idea, would just be nice to get the tube up on my 'small' table and up off the ground. I may have to extend my table a bit if there isn't an easy solution.

daguin

I've never seen an extension for these. The length of the umbilcal is dictated by the application (and how many the manufacturer wants ;) ) If the company is ordering enough of them, Uniphase makes them to fit the requirements. If not, the stock length is used.

These short umbilical units come from the ABI 3700. When I run across a laser that is beyond repair I usually save the umbilical. However, I just sent the last one I had on hand to Australia.

In any event, taking the cylindrical style head apart is not as simple a task as disassembling a box type.

Since you appear to be building a "case" for the unit, try just running the laser back parallel with the PSU so that the beam exits in the direction of the rear of the PSU. That way, you can have the controls at the "rear" of the case, with the beam exiting the "front" of the case. You will have to mount the fan on the opposite side of the laser or above (or below) the laser/PSU to keep the controls clear, but these configurations will work with the shorter umbilical.

This is one of the ways this was done when these were used in beam shows. In those cases, sometimes the fan was integral in the case and sometimes the fan was an external application

Peace,
dave

I've never seen an extension for these. The length of the umbilcal is dictated by the application (and how many the manufacturer wants ;) ) If the company is ordering enough of them, Uniphase makes them to fit the requirements. If not, the stock length is used.

These short umbilical units come from the ABI 3700. When I run across a laser that is beyond repair I usually save the umbilical. However, I just sent the last one I had on hand to Australia.

In any event, taking the cylindrical style head apart is not as simple a task as disassembling a box type.

Since you appear to be building a "case" for the unit, try just running the laser back parallel with the PSU so that the beam exits in the direction of the rear of the PSU. That way, you can have the controls at the "rear" of the case, with the beam exiting the "front" of the case. You will have to mount the fan on the opposite side of the laser or above (or below) the laser/PSU to keep the controls clear, but these configurations will work with the shorter umbilical.

This is one of the ways this was done when these were used in beam shows. In those cases, sometimes the fan was integral in the case and sometimes the fan was an external application

Peace,
dave

Thanks Dave, I kind of figured, and it was a shot in the dark. I think that I will try to twist and turn the whole set-up into a 'somewhat' more easily transported box....Big, heavy box.
I think that I might also be able to extend my laser working table a bit to accommodate the PSU and Fan.
Hope springs eternal, and if you happen by another scrap umbilical let me know.:whistle:

Peace,
dave

Great info and advice Dave. I always wondered what device mine( with the 10+ft umbilicals) came from ---must have been something that required the head to be a LONG way from the PS.

Hi Carl,
I might have a spare umbilical kicking around somewhere. I've done an umbilical transplant before and it can get a bit tricky and very time consuming. If you want me to see if I can find it, send me a PM.