Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ultrafire 501B/Lifetime17 Cu Heatsink x Osram PLTB450B

trephanation

The threading on that Amazon "Word GX" blue laser I have finally crapped out, so I needed to look elsewhere if I wanted a true utility/burning laser. A week ago I contacted Lifetime17 for a heatsink so I could start on my second build. I originally wanted some sort of 405nm diode, but after reading about how temperamental they are I decided to go with the Osram blue diode. I received the custom copper heatsink as well as simple 501B host very quickly from Rich, and received the diode today and was able to assemble it. I'll update with more beamshots tonight, but even in a sunlit room it still makes the entire room blue and casts shadows. I've got a G2 lens on here and it's actually terrifying how good of a burner it is. The copper heat sink is beefy and adds a nice heavy feel to the host. Also, "Flaminpyro's Junk" was a funny easter egg to see on the battery contact board. This build exceeded my expectations.

As an addendum: You definitely need to wear safety goggles at all times when batteries are installed in something like this. It's not negotiable. I saw in another thread somebody posted a video of a goofy Portugese guy with blue hair shining a blue laser everywhere with no regard for safety, all the while laughing maniacally. It was possibly the worst behavior around lasers I've ever seen. Even those low quality Chinese blue lasers are extremely dangerous and the safety goggles that come with them WILL NOT cut it if you are trying to use your laser to burn things. If you don't have safety goggles, spend the $50 and get the Eagle Pairs, it is beyond worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_3853.jpg
    IMG_3853.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 21
  • image0(1).jpeg
    image0(1).jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image1(1).jpeg
    image1(1).jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image0(2).jpeg
    image0(2).jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 19

Hi,Thats great news and the awesome post, CU is the #1 in heat sinking, AL with a CU core pressed in is good also.
You did a great job and a gold star for safety glasses (good ones). You cant skimp on safety, its a recipe for disaster.
Great choice on the PLTB450B diode they are very durable .
Enjoy Rich:)

GSS

Nice!
I'm perfectly happy with just a G2 lens on my PLTB450B1 also!
Just a few of my 501B's from Lifetime17:)

Attachments

• IMG_20191103_045831.jpg
    IMG_20191103_045831.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 5

trephanation

So as an update, here's a pic of the expanded spot when it's acting normal. However, since last night the spot has been distorted like the second pic, and when focused to infinity (third pic) has some crazy splashing that wasn't there before. This leads me to believe that unfortunately there is something wrong with the diode, such as a crack or scratch in the window. Haven't dropped it or messed with it in any way. Anybody have any thoughts on what it could be?

Edit: Well I've let it sit for a little bit and now the output is very dim/LED-like. I guess the debris/glass may have damaged the diode components inside. Kind of frustrating but I don't bind rebuilding it, as it's a bit cheaper without having to order a whole new lens set.

Attachments

• image0(1).png
    image0(1).png
    304.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image1(1).png
    image1(1).png
    310.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image0(2).png
    image0(2).png
    366.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

GSS

Frustrating for sure but between Dtr and Rich the issue will be fixed within reason, that i'm sure
;)
Did you buy the G2 lens with Dtr's module? or from China? I'm just curious..

trephanation

Frustrating for sure but between Dtr and Rich the issue will be fixed within reason, that i'm sure
;)
Did you buy the G2 lens with Dtr's module? or from China? I'm just curious..
I've got the G2 lens from DTR.

For reference here's that LED-like output. Not so great but if it was thudded somewhere accidentally that's definitely what caused it.

Attachments

• IMG_3917.jpg
    IMG_3917.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 3

GSS

You might as well try and take a pic of the diode and post it so we can see.

trephanation

Here you go, I'm not sure how much help it will be as I don't have the tools to remove the diode from the module as well as the crappy picture quality:

Attachments

• image0(3).jpg
    image0(3).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 8

GSS

The pic isn't that bad as far as I can tell I don't see the glass window?
Don't let this one bad PLBT450B diode think twice about it, mine has been going for 5 years..
Suggestions will come..