Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ultrafire 18650 exploded..

Varsis

i charge mine in a bread loaf pan. so if anything happens it stays in the pan.
i NEVER charge them when i'm not around.
ALWAYS watch them chargen, and NEVER leave them on over their charge finish period.

I've had a 14500 explode in the kitchen once. Was not pretty. Smelled like hell. Kind of scary.

Varsis

i've delt with lithium power cells for atleast 10 years now.
i know a few simple truths.

overdrawing from the cell WILL make it destruct.
overcharging the cell WILL make it destruct.

CHEAP chargers are the most UNKNOWN reason for KILLING your lithium cells.
they FREQUENTLY miss charge the cell by charging OVER voltage or for to long after the cell is "full"

picture it like a compressed air tank.
it doesn't have a way to deal with "EXTRA"
the charger has to do that for you. 10 dollar Chinese chargers DON"T do it reliably.

edited: most name brand batteries handle miss treatment better then cheap chinese no names. This is usually why you see less problems with them.

jbtm

What chargers do you recommend then. I know my 'protected battery' also has over-current protection that shuts off the battery when a set-current is drawn.

Not sure if all batteries have this...But mine has
Over current protection
Overcharge protetion
undercharge (voltage drops too low) protection
Short-circuit protection
Temperature protection
Vent holes to prevent explosions
http://cgi.ebay.com/18650-SoShine-R...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a815a3b0

Deals-Extreme, amazon, ebay, range 18-21 dollars.

Last edited:
Scary indeed. What is considered an 'over-charged' voltage? My charger from rayfoss stops at 4.47V, and I have batteries that have over 6 protection features on it, and over-voltage is one of them, the battery over-voltage is actually set to 4.2V, but I could be wrong, It's been months since I last had to do a charge. But the battery was never warm or anything when it came out of the charger, So seeing it was protected I didnt take much of it...It's a single cell configuration anyways

So the charger never says that it's finished, and you have to test them yourself?

jbtm

Oh $%^@....Someone please tell me I can still charge my 1.85V CR123A...I didnt know I used my red laser so much...I just took it out, noticed my laser was like a LED...Scared it died, i volt metered it, and found the battery was at 1.85V. Is this dead?

Good news is, the laser didn't die. I was afraid i left it on or something...Idk..I do use it often.

Last edited:

jbtm

Says KTG 1CR16340

600mah 3.7v

Came with rayfoss and a charger. But is 1.8v too low to charge?

yes. Recycle it. Test it to see if voltage came back up, if not, it's toast. recharge when they reach below 3.6V. Do not use anymore if they are resting at below 2.5V.

And to the poster who has a charger charging batteries to 4.5V, you need to get a new charger.

jbtm

Odd, maybe i had a little resistance between my probe the other day. Today I read it saying 2.85V...Could it be rayfoss was nice enough to include a safety in the lasers that shuts off when its time to charge?

But I take its safe to figure this is rechargable, since it came with the laser + charger...I haven't heard of one with this name.

Last edited:
And to the poster who has a charger charging batteries to 4.5V, you need to get a new charger.

I agree, if the batteries have protection against overcharging to 4.2V, and the charger keeps going until it reaches 4.5V... Doesn't sound good. It's nice to be able to see when your battery is done charging anyway.