Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

UK customs and lasers

I'm reading conflicting views

I want to buy a 100-500mw laser from China (from laserer) and import to the UK. Just one, and for personal use

1. would I be doing anything wrong?
2. is there a chance it would be seized?
3. will I have to pay any import tax or anything?

Doesn't say much. Just trading standards advise that they're removed from circulation (class 3b)

I'm reading conflicting views

I want to buy a 100-500mw laser from China (from laserer) and import to the UK. Just one, and for personal use

1. would I be doing anything wrong?
2. is there a chance it would be seized?
3. will I have to pay any import tax or anything?

1. It varies from country to country but in most places laser products are very regulated. In the UK, anything above 1mW is illegal for sale in the UK; however, Wikipedia says there are no restrictions on importing them. I do not know how accurate this is. You should check the link below for more information. I haven't ever heard of anyone being prosecuted for violating laser regulations. It doesn't seem to be too strictly enforced

Click here to see the source they cited

2. It seems possible that a laser product may be seized but I do not know how likely it is. I have never had any issues with shipping to the UK; additionally, I have never heard of any major complaints from UK residents.

3. All international mail requires a form to be attached which declares the value of the contents. Almost no one is honest when it comes to this because they want to avoid having to pay any taxes. Any shipment to the UK with a declared value of £15 or less will not have to pay duty or VAT. You can easily request for the sender to declare the value lower than it actually is. (Pretty sure this is considered fraud but it seems to be a standard practice in the industry)

Good luck :gun:

Last edited:
Thx mate. Just taken a chance and ordered a 1000mw blue focusable :)

Fingers crossed

Just for people's information, it arrived and worked a treat. Thinking of selling it though now, before I blind myself LOL

Gun

Please don't double post, you've done it twice in this thread.

Just click "Edit" on your post and type it in there. :)

As with medicines/performance enhancers it is illegal to purchase them within the UK, however there are NO laws which govern the importation of such products.

Customs can search your package and may slap you with a £20 fine for your trouble, however they cannot legally seize the item.