Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

two hosts-new built for friend

I don't know about what you expect out of those 36 asapheric lenses, but a fat beam is probably not going to happen. Did you look at the spec sheet in the photos? They do have a longer FL (10mm), but the aperture is very limited, as is the window.

lil :p

Paul, yes, agreed some unused area of the diameter a waste, but it will be enough fatter to make it worthwhile to me. The whole possible 10 mm aperture won't be used, but with the divergence of most MM red diodes over half of it will at about 6 mm, at least, for the fast axis. This will produce a beam more than twice the diameter of a G2 lens and half the divergence, if you had one for red. The divergence of red WL MM diodes really need a lens this dia. with a longer FL at about 14-16 mm, but these are all I could find as one piece low loss AR coated aspheric for a cheap price.

The fast axis divergence of the 700 mw Oclaro 638 nm diode is 35 degrees average to a max of 50 degrees, although I don't expect to find one with the maximum, if I did, over 9 mm of the diameter would be used making this a very good lens for that one. I bought these primarily for some longer wavelength NIR 780 nm laser diodes rather than red, but I will use some for the 638 nm WL too, since it is within the AR coating range. The challenge I faced with this larger (compared to a G2 etc.) diameter lens for a pointer is finding a threaded lens holder tube and threaded diode mount for them to go into, but Trinh can build them for me, problem solved. The pointer I want to build with the 780 nm diodes will have several diodes in it, kinda crazy saving money on the lens to spend the savings on a lens holder and diode mount, but that's what I was planning.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out. I know the seller states they are AR coated for more WLs, but the spec sheet said 633nm. You're right about the Oclaro and Mits 635nm divergence. If you can tame it within the laser's host that would look amazing.

They really need a bigger lens to get the divergence down further, but I will take a 50% improvement with these, better than our 6 mm lenses.

I agree, these 6.3mm asphers are terrible for the divergence of these diodes. I gave up on them because it wasn't worth it to me to use cyl lenses to try to tame that rake. I am looking forward to how this works out for you.

I have a bad habit of buying parts for projects in parallel and not completing them, this will take some time as I want to incorporate some fancy control electronics into the 780 nm unit. If just building a straight 638 nm pointer, all I need are the parts from Trinh and that one will be easy.

I would love to see either the Oclaro or the Mitsubishi 635nm diode used with a single aspheric lens that gives a dot, or something close to it instead of that long thin line. I understand your other 780nm project, and don't want to get in the way of that, but if you could just throw the lens in one of these 635nm pointers, that would tell me everything I need to know. If it works, that would be an incredible improvement.

:làn sóng:
to day is wonderful day,-i finish two host laser for Chris Hazitt
this is some picture
---I got the design and made laser hosts-any question about buying host-let's inbox

Dude... That's some serious good looking s*#&" over there! :drool: :drool:
:bowdown:

PS.
Happy for you chris! ;)

They are so nice I asked him to build two more of the same, he's busy so a 2 month wait.

I agree, these 6.3mm asphers are terrible for the divergence of these diodes. I gave up on them because it wasn't worth it to me to use cyl lenses to try to tame that rake. I am looking forward to how this works out for you.

They really need a bigger lens to get the divergence down further, but I will take a 50% improvement with these, better than our 6 mm lenses.

Alaskan, we touched on this briefly while back, when styropyro was talking about designing a host to hold several modules to collimate them into one beam.
I was thinking jeweler’s loupe type lens??

Lifetime17!!!! Rich!!!.... hey!!! Buddy!!! I know you’re out there.
I know divergence isn’t something you harp on. But, You should totally make a upscale 30mm Aixiz-style module w/ lense barrel and put a loupe or equivalent lens and see what a mit or Oclaro MM does. :drool: :drool: :pop:
You know...for science...n stuff :D

If I had access to a lathe and tools I’d def turn one out.

I've been thinking we need a larger standard diameter lens barrel and lenses along with diode mounts to accept them for awhile now, 16 mm diameter lens minimum for the high power multimode laser diodes, or red laser diodes which characteristically have terrible divergence compared to the shorter wavelengths. So far, they aren't being made, I'd be happy to kick in some bucks to get the design started if Jordan would get one of his sources tooled up to start making them, but the lens is a problem too, while 6.3 mm diameter lenses are made in great abundance for pointers, 16 mm are not. We need to identify the most available larger diameter lens first, then design a holder for it. Jewelers loops use bi-convex lenses, laser diodes can be collimated to infinity focus with them, but a PCX lens is better for that use, and aspheric superior to them.

Here's what I believe is a 16 mm diameter PCX lens cheap enough for use with a few diodes, but it is AR coated for IR: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diameter-1...s-for-780nm-808nm-980nm-IR-Laser/132118150190 If my calculations are correct, this could be used with a fast axis diode divergence of up to 25 degrees, if the working distance is 33 mm, as I found on another sellers listing for this lens. Most multimode laser diodes have greater divergence from their fast axis than this, so even with the right AR coating the FL too long for them. For this diameter to work with many of our MM diodes, the FL should be 20-25 mm, less for a NUMB44, otherwise the spot diameter far exceeds the lens diameter at its FL.

Last edited: