Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

two arrested for pointing lasers at aircraft

I was reading our local paper from august 29th, this is what I saw.

Two arrested for pointing lasers at aircraft.

Turns out that two idiots who were near the Fresno yosemite international airport, here in California. Were pointing their lasers at an air ambulance helicopter.
Air traffic control notified the local police. They dispatched a Fresno police helicopter so search the area in question.
The two idiots then pointed there lasers at the police helicopter, witch allowed them to be located in the Clovis area.

Police on the ground , then found the two and arrested them!

The realy sad part is, they were old enough to know better.
One is 22. And the other 24.
It is hard to believe that there seems to be a never ending number of stupid people that keep doing this kind of thing.

It is just plain bad for all of us who use our lasers with safty in mind!

I was reading our local paper from august 29th, this is what I saw.

Two arrested for pointing lasers at aircraft.

Turns out that two idiots who were near the Fresno yosemite international airport, here in California. Were pointing their lasers at an air ambulance helicopter.
Air traffic control notified the local police. They dispatched a Fresno police helicopter so search the area in question.
The two idiots then pointed there lasers at the police helicopter, witch allowed them to be located in the Clovis area.

Police on the ground , then found the two and arrested them!

The realy sad part is, they were old enough to know better.
One is 22. And the other 24.
It is hard to believe that there seems to be a never ending number of stupid people that keep doing this kind of thing.

It is just plain bad for all of us who use our lasers with safty in mind!

Does it say anything about a bag of weed... I'm only asking cause it seems to me that they always seem to be on dope:yabbmad:

I'm always astounded by the number of stupid people out there.

I have a google news alert set for the word "laser" and there is a new article about some morons on a daily basis unfortunately :(

Does it say anything about a bag of weed... I'm only asking cause it seems to me that they always seem to be on dope:yabbmad:

I did not see anything about drugs, but I would not be surprised.

Im thinking about calling the paper to request that they run a follow up story on it, so other dum asses can see what happens other than getting arrested.

I know I would like to see just what kind of fines they get ,and what goes on their records.

Yeah, its really a shame when folks don't realize, or care, about what impact their actions can have, lazing or otherwise. I actually realized that I'll have to be extra careful and restrictive of my testing as my gear and parts start to trickle in as I only live about 2 miles from Oakland airport and there is always something flying overhead, and its usually misty. Don't need to cops knocking on my door cuz I've scared all the pilots!

Yeah, its really a shame when folks don't realize, or care, about what impact their actions can have, lazing or otherwise. I actually realized that I'll have to be extra careful and restrictive of my testing as my gear and parts start to trickle in as I only live about 2 miles from Oakland airport and there is always something flying overhead, and its usually misty. Don't need to cops knocking on my door cuz I've scared all the pilots!

Good to hear you are thinking of safety. You being near an airport.

You will have to keep those beams of yours out of the sky!
I get the feeling that we won't be reading anything about you in the papers.

I get the feeling that we won't be reading anything about you in the papers.

Haha hopefully not! Especially not after I found some more specific guidelines and examples of what regulations are and what has happened in the past. I'm pretty sure I live within 2NM of the runways, so if I end up doing anything outside whatsoever I could be in deep trouble.

Apparently Oakland is 4th highest in laser incidents, and Alameda cops are pretty bored so I don't think I'll be doing any skyward lasing unless I'm way out of town.

edz55

I once let my friend use my laser while outside and he tried to point it at a helicopter, so I smacked him on the back the head and took it back lol :twak: (yes i know this is somewhat random.)

What is the point of pointing at aircraft?

"Hey jimbo, I bet this light stick can go to the moon"
"Now cletus its just a flashlight"
"Fine, to prove us wrong in going to point it at this plane. Then the pilot will call me and tell me it went up to the moon because hes like 7000 miles in the air and can see the moon. You just wait and see"