Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tutorial: Build Tips - 7 Color Laser Using The White Fusion Kit... from sightfx!

Re: Build Tips - 7 Color Laser Using Adjustable Sled Mount/Heatsinks

wow, i just learned allot!

I may try this myslef,

Tyler

Great job Jay! It's really looking fantastic.

Also, I just realized that this trick quoted below may just be the key to getting long life from our laser diodes in general. Thanks for pointing out something that I knew but hadn't thought of to use for our diodes. :D
HIMNL9 : maybe keeping a 10 ohm 2W resistor in series to the diode, so the entire system become also less critical about the regulation

jayrob

Good feedback from everybody! :thanks:

This is certainly one of the greatest projects to do! A great idea from rog8811, that made building the lasers we normally build, a completely new experience! (for me anyway)

It is a precise and difficult chore to get perfect alignment on the three lasers, but once you have it, you will not be disappointed.

This kit from sightfx is a 'must have'!

It is the most rewarding project that I have done so far...
Jay

Can you just use three good 8x 405nm diodes? So you'd end up with 1 watt+ of 405nm.

jayrob

Not sure how that would work out with the PHR sled optics...

I'm sure you can get the right optics in there to make that happen, but I believe that the PHR PBS cube is not going to allow much 405nm through the red side. And I don't know about the turning mirror either...
Jay

jayrob

Finally got my new replacement green module output adjusted lower...

I normally don't mess with the pot on the stock drivers (green modules), but even with a 3 volt supply, my new 50mW module was too bright for the color blend.

So instead of disconnecting the stock driver and using a DDL, I first tried to turn the pot on the driver, and am very happy that it actually worked!

Now I have it right where it needs to be for a good blend! :) Right around 39mW's through the sled. (see first post for all power settings)
Jay

mfo

Wow, I can honestly say that I am blown away by this build. You guys are ALL geniuses! Seriously...holy crap I want one of those. I would love to have an attempt at it myself but I think I'm still too much of a newb to attempt this....

ReNNo

I'm working on 7 color laser that will be controlled with 3x LM317 drivers.
All diodes will be controlled.

I'll post review as soon as I calibrate lasers.

And one question.

No matter what I do I always get splashes that looks like cross.
Even module itself produces splash.
The splash is in the form of "the wing".

Problem like that :

21854d1244757456-can-splash-removed-blocked-img_0044_websm.jpg

Any idea to solve this problem?

jayrob

That line is normal in most red DVD diodes...

You will also get some reflection type stuff through the sled optics, but it can be minimized by first, rotating the red and blu-ray modules to the best power through the polarized splitter cube.

Then, the hardest part. Getting the turning mirror positioned perfectly. You will notice that there is a 'sweet spot' for the turning mirror.

And finally, you will learn to live with a little of this, because if you get perfect alignment, you will love the results so much, that a little reflection and a couple of lines won't bother you so bad! :)

mfo, yes it is a rather difficult build, but so rewarding!
Jay

Last edited:

Yeah I wish I had known about this before I started building mine. I made everything entirely from scratch, machined a aluminum plate, mounted dichro's with custom made mini mounts, Fully machined heatsink with direct diode press. But hopefully mine will be the most powerful one yet using LPC, 8x blu-ray, and 100mW green all adjustable from 5mW-full output. Also with the best battery life using 3x 18650 in a custom seperatable custom case to become pocket sized (two pockets thought).

jayrob

Sounds like an awesome build...

I hope you will show lots of pictures and details! :)
Jay

Is it possible to use a 5mw green module in order to use a phr 405 to keep costs down? ( i know i know, what is this absurd request for lower power)

jayrob

Yes... there is a link right under the first picture in the first post of this thread to my 'low power' 7 color build...

You can go there and see what diodes/lenses/settings for that one!
Jay

Do you have any tips for getting the beam sizes to look right? I have mine fairly close to aligned, but when I set it to yellow, the red beam is much fatter than the green beam, and it doesn't look so vibrant.

jayrob

I can only go off of my own experience on two builds...

I set focus on the red and blu-ray for best visual dot at 70'. Bouncing the beam off a mirror in the other room so that I can see the dots at close distance to me.

I have also found that if you don't have good beam alignment at the aperture, you will not be satisfied. Even if the dots are aligned.

This 'beam alignment at aperture' is the hardest part. It involves getting the turning mirror in the perfect adjustment, so that the beams are aligned, as well as the dots. (as good as you can get the dots) Then later, you can go for dot alignment at distance...
Jay

ReNNo

jayrob, problem is beam diameter.
Most of green modules have very tight beam, about 1.5cm.
But red and UV beams are 4-5mm in diameter.
Tighter beam will be more visible at close distance.

I have the same problem.

That happens few meter from sled, but after few meters divergence does job.
10 meters away from sled beams look the same size.