Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Turning AA batts into 18650's

Does any one have any idea how to turn aa batteries into 18650's using only household items for example sellotape or electrical tape or other type of batteries. Help is appreciated thanks in advance
Cheers
Muneer

Are you just trying to match the size? The voltage will not be the same no matter what you do. If something requires one 18650, it most likely will not operate on 1 AA. If you just need the size you can wrap copies amounts of tape around it until it fits snug. If you have any large heat shrink you can add that over the tape cut to length for a nice clean look when finished.

No it is not possible AA's are alkaline batteries (1.5V). 18650's are Li-ion batteries (4.2V) three AA's in series would be 4.5V. that would have no where near the capacity of an 18650, so it will be no good for powering high drain devices like lasers anyway. Also it will be far longer than an 18650 so it would not fit in many hosts. lastly it would be primary so instead of recharging it you'd have to get and assemble new ones each time. if you used rechargeable AA's then you'd be down to 3.6V at 3 batteries and you'd have 4.8V with four so unless you have a buck driver you'll be frying your driver. Oh and you don't use tape to make electrical connections you solder.

ulvi

I thought about this a few das age. Clearly its not appliable.
VuwuPLN.png

I thought about this a few das age. Clearly its not appliable.
VuwuPLN.png

While it looks easy on paper, it's NOT going to work and will be a massive mess. The chemicals in the batteries will leak all over the place and because they are caustic, could burn you. The process of cutting the battery is likely short it out and cause it to burn. Please do NOT try it.

Bob Diaz

Blade

:wtf: ... though i just had to screenshot that diagram... dont ever try that... ever O_O

ru124t

Ok, so do your cutting in a vacuum at a specific gravity of 0.2 neutrons. Take a spanner and then lick the battery juice to ensure it has not spoiled . After this, quickly take 2 sticks of dynamite , light them and stick them in your orifice of choice. While waiting for the dynamite to blow, repeat after me, it probably would have been better and easier to buy an 18650 battery and give my brain a rest! lol

Ok, so do your cutting in a vacuum at a specific gravity of 0.2 neutrons. Take a spanner and then lick the battery juice to ensure it has not spoiled . After this, quickly take 2 sticks of dynamite , light them and stick them in your orifice of choice. While waiting for the dynamite to blow, repeat after me, it probably would have been better and easier to buy an 18650 battery and give my brain a rest! lol

Aha! I cracked up at that diagram too. I was just wondering if there was a way. :crackup: