Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tubes of Light

Way back, I built some laser spirographs. I do still love them. Portable and usually a crowd pleaser. I have a 5 motor/mirror setup that is not inside any enclosure, so I can point whatever beams I want at it :) It is using cheap mirrors, (not first-surface) that I've contemplated popping out the dental mirrors to see what kind of difference it'd make...but haven't done so yet. I am using this rig with the glass wedge, and with a 3 mirror "pyramid" setup to bounce a "cone" around.

What I found super neat was catching the frequency of the camera capture with the the speed of the mirrors to get some sweet gif action!

Beams used (wavelengths):
With wedge:
445nm

With 3 mirror "pyramid":
532nm
490nm
650nm

videotogif_2018.07.16_23.46.56 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG4555 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG4571 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG4585 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/M5BBfJ]
IMAG4591 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG4596 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

videotogif_2018.07.16_23.55.44 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG4617 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG4625 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

videotogif_2018.07.16_23.50.16 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

videotogif_2018.07.16_23.53.22 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

videotogif_2018.07.16_23.49.05 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

I should clean up
IMAG4638 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

Gazen

Nice pics and a nice clean set up :kewlpics:

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Very nice Lewie. :) I sat there and watched the spiralling ones for a while. There almost hypnotising. :p
Very cool. :beer:

Equilateral prisms are always a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing your photos. :yh:

I used to enjoy spinning mirrors, the light tubes in the fog were always cool. :beer:

Unfortunately, these effects are only achieved when the motor speeds are close to the frame repetition rate of the camera and, therefore, can only be seen in videos.

Nice pics and a nice clean set up :kewlpics:

Thanks, Gazen!

Hi Lew,
More great pics! I like 4617 the best.

Thx, Bruce! It's funny - when making the OP, I kinda have assumptions on which ones will be certain member's favorites (including yours)! Glad you liked it!

Very nice Lewie. :) I sat there and watched the spiralling ones for a while. There almost hypnotising. :p
Very cool. :beer:

LASER TORNADO !!!!

I love triangles....:D

Jerry

What a great shape, indeed!

I used to enjoy spinning mirrors, the light tubes in the fog were always cool. :beer:

I hear ya, fog tunnels FTW.

Nice new experiment! I like the outputs.

TY, sir! Appreciate you checking out and commenting on my posts ;)

Unfortunately, these effects are only achieved when the motor speeds are close to the frame repetition rate of the camera and, therefore, can only be seen in videos.

That's right...unless you have VERY good control of your blinking speed :crackup: I think that would almost require some sort of performance enhancing drugs and years of practice...lol :crackup:

Thanks for checking them out!!!

I had no idea these are only captured by a camera.

I had a feeling there would be people who didn't realize this. That is why I posted that, to inform.

What I found super neat was catching the frequency of the camera capture with the the speed of the mirrors to get some sweet gif action!

^^ I tried stating that in the OP, sorry if it was misleading.
->Tornado effect is camera created. Or blink super fast. Jkjk :crackup:

Good lookin' out, Paul!!

Last edited:
Double post, but think its timely for discussion around the camera vs. live view of the laser:

My friend just set this neat experiment up and this video (not my friend) explaining the experiment goes into the camera frame rate/exposure times - the whole vid is cool, the camera point is around the 4 minute mark: https://youtu.be/C-V1uXeyGmg

Some of what he was showing has been done for years using the x and y axis inputs of an oscilloscope and feeding your single tones into those channels. So, a laser is not the only way to see this. It has been going on longer than lasers have been around.