Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

True 50mw Green laser on the way!!!

Hey everyone, I am new here, but I have a true 50mw green laser on the way from amazon. It is made by MPO and the reviews sounded very good. My question is, what can I expect from this laser? I know it should pop balloons, what other stuff should it be able to do? If it is truly 50mw, would it light a match? Also, since I don't have any safety laser goggles yet, when I burn stuff, would it be safe to look through my digital camera at the dot? I know with my eyes unprotected it would be damaging to them. I plan on mainly using the laser outdoors though.

PS, it shipped Thursday via USPS priority mail. Estimated arrival is December 30th, will it really take that long? It is going from California to North Carolina, I would think 4-5 days max?

Thanks for any help!
Tyler

If you focused it, you might just be able to light a match-if it's up to spec.
It would be safe to look at the dot with a camera.
It should get to you before that, but it might be delayed because of the holidays.

xmtgx

LRMNmeyer said:
If you focused it, you might just be able to light a match-if it's up to spec.
It would be safe to look at the dot with a camera.
It should get to you before that, but it might be delayed because of the holidays.

Well I can light a match with a dx30, not telling if its 30mw or greatly overspecced w/o a LPM though.
EDIT: Almost forgot to say, WITH a lens.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Anyone on here ever bought this laser from MPO before, and if so was it good? The reviews are very good on Amazon, and for $45 shipped I thought why not? Looking forward to receiving it. Are there any tests I can do to tell if it is true 50mw though?

daguin

snowlover91 said:
Ok, thanks for the feedback.  Anyone on here ever bought this laser from MPO before, and if so was it good?  The reviews are very good on Amazon, and for $45 shipped I thought why not?  Looking forward to receiving it.  Are there any tests I can do to tell if it is true 50mw though?

The [highlight]ONLY [/highlight]way to know is to use as laser power meter.

Was that enough emphasis?  ;)

There are several people in the forum that will do this for you.  if you're lucky one will live nearby you.  If not you ship it to them with cash for the return shipping.  They test it.  They ship it back to you with the results.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
The [highlight]ONLY [/highlight]way to know is to use as laser power meter.

Was that enough emphasis?  ;)

There are several people in the forum that will do this for you.  if you're lucky one will live nearby you.  If not you ship it to them with cash for the return shipping.  They test it.  They ship it back to you with the results.

Peace,
dave

Right, but right now I don't have much spare cash for shipping it to someone to test, although that would be cool to do. I was just wondering if there were some tests I could do that a 50mw laser should be able to do? I know pop balloons, possibly cut black electrical tape? Basically, I want to see if mine is performing about up to spec. with some simple tests I can do. Thanks for the suggestion though.

So what can I expect my 50mw laser to do? For those that own a 50mw green laser, how do you like yours?

DTMF

ive got 2 of those and they are very cool . they will pop balloon's but thats about it . very brite i'm not shure if there is a ir filter i did some test's and i can see the ir clearly with my camra . get some good batt's if you want full power .they seem to get brighter after they warm up i bit . not that they start out dim they just get even brighter