Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Trouble with CC-Boost, Suggestions?

Jstr

Hi,

I just replaced the driver in one of my 445nm 9mm lasers with a CC-Boost designed by rhd and lpf. I was setting the current when I realized I goofed. Instead of a single 18650, I had put in two 16340's. Here's the weird part: it worked pretty well. No smoke, smell, or any fried circuitry. It put out two 2.23A and then 2.33A when I adjusted it.

After realizing my mistake but finding no damage, I switched to one optotronics 18650 and tested again. My meter read ~1.3A initially without adjusting the pot from where it was doing 2.33A. I turned the pot about 90 degrees clockwise and tried again: 1.18A. Then I attempted two more times to raise the current, but I could not get it over 1.34A or under 1.1A. The current was constant, but I also noticed a very high frequency noise that decreased with time as the driver and test load heated up. That was worrying, but I do not think it is an indication of damage because the current was not affected. I noticed that the driver heated up MUCH faster when using only one battery.

So then I decided to go back to two 16340's. I got consistently in the range of 2.1-2.34A despite adjusting the pot both directions. Nothing went wrong except after running the driver for about a minute, I accidentally jerked the test clip connecting to the driver positive output (off, no current) and the wire just came out of the driver. So I guess one of those runs heated part of the driver (although driver heatsink and the components I felt were barely warm) hot enough to melt solder.

I have not tried again. Can anyone please help? I would love some input on a) if using two batteries could have harmed the driver and b) why the pot barely changes the current.

Assuming nothing is wrong, should I try hooking it up to a LD? Can I just use two 16340's to power a diode at as close to 2.4 Amps as possible?

Thank you!

Sounds like you've damaged the IC with over-voltage. Do you have another driver you can try?

DTR

Yep that is what happens with the microboost, flex and X-boost when too much voltage is given. Assume it is the same with that design. It just seem to pass though voltage and current from the power source with no regulation which is why turning the pot does nothing. You probably need a new driver or to replace the damaged components on the one you have.

Jstr

:(
Luckily I have another one. Oh well, Thank you!

Jstr

Okay, so I replaced the driver, made sure to use one battery, and it's still not working correctly.

There is a constant current, which is good, but turning the pot would not adjust the current, and this time it hovers around 1.73A. When I turned the pot past ~100° the driver emitted the same high pitched whine that the other did. I immediately turned it off when I heard it. What could cause this noise?

Since it seems to output a stable current, I am thinking that I will just save my 9mm and use an m140. Is this safe??

Also this test gives me some hope for the other driver because it is reasonable to assume the two batteries did not damage the driver beyond use, but still I am hesitant to test this one with two batteries.

Thats what happened with all the cc-boosts I made. None made it past ~1.8A, and all had that high pitched screech until they went past (usually) 1.5A.

Jstr

Hmm, that kinda sucks. Did you still use them?

No. I finagled one into a very small host from ehgemus, which was a pain because theres no driver pill area, just a 12mm hole for a DTR type module-these drivers do not fit in a 12mm hole. I had to get creative. Its an overall jank build, but I love the host and the side button. Its unique, for sure :D

Jstr

Ok, I'm probably gonna just use it because I already have it 90% finished. Thank you for responding. :beer: