Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

trouble deciding

I've narrowed my decision to purchase down to either Lucent NV 100 or Nova Alpha 105. I'm really having a hard time deciding between these two. I realize that they are supposed to be essentially the same CNI unit. I'm just not sure about the three second emission delay on the NV. I also want good customer service if it's ever needed. I have found lots of good things about Nova on this forum. I just wish there was more feedback on Lucent. I may have to flip a coin on this one eventually. Anyone with any useful thoughts?

Welcome to the forum!

If you go with NOVA, their Alpha series comes with a nice, solid, aluminum case, Lightyears (basically money you get back in the form of credit on your account when you buy something), and I got a free diffraction grating with my laser. They have great customer service and answered all my questions quickly. I don't know much about Lucent but NOVA always ships lasers with greater average output power than what is specified. My X105 has an average of 118.6 and a peak of 120.5mW.

Thanks. May I ask why you chose the X105 over the Alpha 105? Did you simply want something a bit slimmer and easier to carry around or was it the 60 or so dollar price diff?
I wonder if, like Nova, Lucent output is consistently above spec?
I have not seen any reference to Nova having an emission delay so I assume the switch is instant on? I think I would prefer that to a delay.

I would have chosen the Alpha series but I believe they do have a 2-3 second emission delay and I wanted something small and portable for a good price. The Lucent NV and Nova Alpha are exactly the same, except for the output power rating system. I'm sure Lucent sells great lasers too (I read a review on one in this forum), but NOVA lasers come with more perks, like the case and discounts. The price between the companies is about the same, but once you factor in the free case, Lightyear points, 5% discount and maybe a diffraction grating, NOVA is a much better deal. In my opinion...

LarryQ

THe Nova Alpha has the delay, and I would be very suprised if the Lucent didn't have it as well.

The X-series has no delay.

Nova just has higher standards in grading thier lasers...

They buy them from the manufacturer in batches, then sort them by testing output power peak and average over time.

If a laser does not have an AVERAGE power OVER 125mW, they will not sell it as a 125mW laser...

My X-105 came speced 128.2mW peak, 114.8 Average!

Nova did not consider that laser a 125 even when the peak power was OVER 125 mW...

Given Nova's steller reputation in customer service....and just how stringent their sorting process is, I think the Nova is a No brainer over the lucent!

Just my 2 cents!

Larry

I appreciate the input. I was leaning towards Nova anyway, due totally to the glowing words about them on this forum. I see nothing on their website referencing a discount to members of this forum. How will they know I am a member? I plan to order via phone.
I look forward to my Alpha 105. Sounds as if I'm really going get a 105 "plus"!
Thanks again everyone. You are all very helpful.

Well, I don't know how to get the discount over the phone but I'm sure you could ask them. And you don't really need to be a member but I think NOVA asked one of the moderators of this forum to post the discount code here to help them attract customers.

I just recently order the Alpha 125 : ) I will get it either Saturday or Monday : ) and I have also read nothing but good things about them on here their a really great company and they ship good .... great products : ) mine is going to average 130.3 and peak 134.9mw : ) its great

anyway go with the nova... when I was planning on buying this model I was looking at the NV but found out in some reviews that they were under powered a majority of the time

And ya get the discount its great saves you some cash
Michael