Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tracking Rogue Drones with DJI Aeroscope

BobMc

More regulation. Not one who thinks it's a good idea. I prefer personal responsibility. But it might just be a pipe dream. :(

Actually... I think it's a good idea for Airports...
To catch the illegal Morons flying drones there.

What I find crooked is that DJI sells Drones to
anyone and now they are Selling Drone Sniffing
equipment to hunt them down.

Jerry

Good job DJI, you just permanently lost a potential customer. Not that i'd care to fly a drone somewhere it shouldn't be, but I tend to value my privacy and these drones obviously don't allow that. Makes you wonder what other data the things broadcast.
I think a much better approach would be to make the drone unable to fly near these restricted areas by means of a radio beacon of sorts. Would be no need to broadcast sensitive info that way. If the drone detects the beacon which could broadcast it's GPS coordinates and the size of the no-fly zone, the drone should just fly into those areas.

Seems a much better solution that will aggravate less people while achieving the same goal.

While I don't think anyone should fly drones into restricted air space, I also don't think anyone should have a magic box that can ping the drone and get it's flight path and owner info. How long until one of these boxes or a clone makes it into the wrong hands?

I get around this problem by putting Bob's email address in my DJI controller.
Problem solved....
RB

:beer:

BobMc

I get around this problem by putting Bob's email address in my DJI controller.
Problem solved....
RB

Hey I heard that! :crackup:

Ps, just put it down as "return to home" address also :D

Last edited:
:crackup:

BTW what's happening, did you check out any deals Bob?
There's lot's going around atm.
Jerry had posted a link I think?
Also that Alpine White is a good deal with 3 batteries.
Looks fantastic too, one of my favourites right now.
Good time to buy.

BobMc

@RB, Not yet, have been keeping an eye on Amazon and eBay. I joined the Mavic forum and been reading what people are saying over there. Been getting some insights. I've kinda got my eyes on (hopefully) the Christmas sale. Found a Mavic FMC for about a grand which seems like a good deal. But have been looking for a sale on the Pro FMC. Thinking of picking up the Crystal Sky unit also. How do you like yours?

Last edited:
@ Bob, I'm so confident that you'll be happy with whatever package you decide on buddy.
You can't go wrong, they are all so go and lots of fun.
Like I said in my other post, the Platinum is great value and will hold resale value better since its newest/best specs.
The Phantom 4 Pro/Plus is ultimate image quality and wind resistance.
I haven't had the chance to use CrystalSky yet but it's awesome under direct sunlight.
Suits the P4P better because it clips into controller better but it will work with Mavic with an appropriate clip adaptor.
I'll keep you updated.

Yeah.... and I put yours on mine....:whistle:

Jerry

:crackup: Touché Jerry

RB

BobMc

Thanks for all your words of encouragement RB, I'll keep you updated. It looking like it's going to be close to a two grand order. So I'm breaking into my piggy bank and counting my penny's. Yep, I am back on Mac&Cheese. :crackup:

Last edited:
Hey Bob, not sure if you've seen this guy before but he is a crackup and does some nice reviews.
Just ignore the Spark. :crackup:

Also, a hilarious review of the GoPro Karma vs DJI drones.

:crackup:

:D

Good job DJI, you just permanently lost a potential customer. Not that i'd care to fly a drone somewhere it shouldn't be, but I tend to value my privacy and these drones obviously don't allow that. Makes you wonder what other data the things broadcast.
I think a much better approach would be to make the drone unable to fly near these restricted areas by means of a radio beacon of sorts. Would be no need to broadcast sensitive info that way. If the drone detects the beacon which could broadcast it's GPS coordinates and the size of the no-fly zone, the drone should just fly into those areas.

Seems a much better solution that will aggravate less people while achieving the same goal.

While I don't think anyone should fly drones into restricted air space, I also don't think anyone should have a magic box that can ping the drone and get it's flight path and owner info. How long until one of these boxes or a clone makes it into the wrong hands?

I know how you feel.
I have some entry level quads but I am planning to build or buy a built racer with a hobby board, not anything with built in geo fencing or black box history, not that I am doing anything illegal but I also value my privacy.

I was looking at these :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Custom...305228?hash=item2cc9dd9d8c:g:XrQAAOSwsI9aDGF~

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QAX-X-CHAR...196708?hash=item2f02c919e4:g:WlsAAOSwCtJaGxH5

Last edited:
I was looking into building something myself at somepoint. Something nimble with FPV. No way I'd buy a commercial drone at this point. I have the common sense to keep it out of areas it doesn't belong in. Now just to get the funds together to get a build going.