Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Track and Field Laser Pacer - How powerful of a green laser do I need to see it clearly at a distance 150m in daylight?

Marshmallow

I am building a system ( really just a raspberry pi and some servos ) for pacing athletes around a 400m track. I am completely new to lasers, and so I have been looking for answers on this forum, but can't find the right answers.
So I need to know:
- How much power to reach 150 meters clearly in daylight using a Green Laser?
- Will that power be dangerous to the average person not paying attention?
- How long can the laser stay on? At least 15 minutes? 30-35 minutes?

Thanks so much for any help.

I am building a system ( really just a raspberry pi and some servos ) for pacing athletes around a 400m track. I am completely new to lasers, and so I have been looking for answers on this forum, but can't find the right answers.
So I need to know:
- How much power to reach 150 meters clearly in daylight using a Green Laser?
- Will that power be dangerous to the average person not paying attention?
- How long can the laser stay on? At least 15 minutes? 30-35 minutes?

Thanks so much for any help.
More than can safely be used without precautions. Perhaps if it were projected upon a low track vertical surface bordering the track it might work. Without a lot of testing, the idea is likely not practical.

gazer101

Are you planning on shining a laser in front of the athletes to indicate how fast they should be moving?

Marshmallow

Perhaps sometime at dusk there would be a time where the laser and the track can both be seen relatively well at a safe power level, but obviously that would take some physical testing.

Thanks again for the help

Last edited:

gazer101

Yeah, better to do it at nighttime using a 5mw laser. Eye safety is at risk above that power level

gazer101

Please stop recommending people with absolutely zero laser knowledge multi watt lasers.
Ok, you are correct on this one. I'm quite naive lol (actually thinking everybody on these forums was responsible)