Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Top Theritical limit for a Pointer

Just Curious what would be the top Output for a pointer if you were able to carry a backpack with batteries a friend asked me this i could not really find a good answer. Would it be limited by or weight or cooling etc.? Just a fun question im a really new here I love learning new stuff im good with electronics and may try my own build. Forgive my newbiness Thx

AUS

Cooling would probably be the biggest thing.

It would be impractical to carry a portable gas laser of much size, you would need a high voltage power supply and cooling (probably water in the case of anything over about a watt). HeNe lasers don't come that powerful, high power CO2 tubes are over a metre long, and Argon needs huge amounts of power and water cooling in much over 100mW.

You can get coloured laser diodes up to about 3-5 watts and 40-60 watt infra red laser diodes, but again you would need water cooling and huge amounts of power.

There is a thread about just that here

Last edited:
^ actually not really. There was a Guy who made a portable co2 laser out of Plexiglas and we have another member who made a RF excited co2 starwars gun (hemlock_mike). And me and mariomaster did the math and a backpackable 40W co2 laser is possible. DC to AC inverter, 1 gallon jug of water, a bunch of 2.7V boostcaps in series. You might be able to get away with a 100W co2 tube but you'd need a REALLY good inverter.

Me and mariomaster never actually tried it because I sold my laser before we really had a chance.

It really comes down to where you get bottlenecked 1st. Weight limit, heat dissipation / cooling, power supply, laser availability. (Example: I haven't seen over 100W of co2 or diode laser on eBay. Though they exist)

Interesting. Had never heard of a COIL before. What makes you think it is scalable to be "handheld"?

AUS

Yes it looks like you would need hyper velocity hydrogen peroxide, iodine and sodium hydroxide. Something tells me this would not be healthy in a skin-dissolving way if it leaked :eek: