Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Toothbrushes - what do you use?

What toothbrush do you use?

• Rotary only brush

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Benm

Holly Crap Benm... life must be boring...:crackup:

If I get bored I'll open a poll on which
toilet paper people use on their touchies...:crackup:
:crackup::crackup:
Jerry

Well, 3-ply from the local store if you want to know ;)

Then again my poll/question about toothbrushes is sort of serious, since many people use all kinds of them, and i'd presume some work better than others unlike toilet paper that all sees the same to me.

Also electric toothbrushes are not insanely expensive gadgets. I'm sure you can find something that costs $300 out there, but a typical resale price would be closer to $30-$40 for a basic model.

I'd expected a bit more response on here really since a fair number of americans seem to be obsessed with having radioactively-shiny-white teeth while this is not that much of a deal in europe and most other parts of the world.

Benm

Is that some scam like baby oil not actually being made from babies?

I'd expected a bit more response on here really since a fair number of americans seem to be obsessed with having radioactively-shiny-white teeth while this is not that much of a deal in europe and most other parts of the world.

hmmm... what about Chernobyl?
All my relatives in Greece now have glow in the dark teeth... :D
Personally, I don't eat YellowCake, we just sell it to the rest of the world.
:crackup:

It's a cheap DIY but try getting this one into your
mouth...:crackup:

Jerry

Benm

Hehe, that DIY contraption looks dangerous enough alright.

I find it interesting that so many people just use plain brushes here though, most people i know use some sort of electric brush. Then again this may also be a european thing since it's not that common to have teeth cleaned every couple of months either.

I suppose for most people a visit to the dentist is an annual thing, while some don't visit unless there is any kind of problem. Somehow that seems logical, i don't go randomly visit my GP every couple of months unless i experience a health problem - must have gone for many years without going to the doctors office, so why show up at the dentist every couple of months?

Hehe, that DIY contraption looks dangerous enough alright.

I find it interesting that so many people just use plain brushes here though, most people i know use some sort of electric brush. Then again this may also be a european thing since it's not that common to have teeth cleaned every couple of months either.

I suppose for most people a visit to the dentist is an annual thing, while some don't visit unless there is any kind of problem. Somehow that seems logical, i don't go randomly visit my GP every couple of months unless i experience a health problem - must have gone for many years without going to the doctors office, so why show up at the dentist every couple of months?

For me it just comes down to cost and ease of use. Whilst electric toothbrush can be pretty cheap, $8 ballpark, I still just like having a toothbrush I can just brush with. No worrying about having to turn it on to use it, batteries and/or charging it etc...

Nothing wrong with either though. Just personal preference :beer:

-Alex

Benm

Well yeah, it's another thing to keep charged and all.

Some are really cheap, but the basic model of a name brand woud be $30 or so, and the replacement brushes quite expensive unless you get knock offs from ebay for next to nothing.

Also i suppose that one could use an electric toothbrush that is out of power just like a regular one, at least in case of emergency.

Also i suppose that one could use an electric toothbrush that is out of power just like a regular one, at least in case of emergency.

Of course! It must not be that important to me to get an electric toothbrush since I've never thought of getting another one, and whenever I go to the food store I grab the manual ones :D

-Alex

I went to the store today today & these are the toothbrush prices here.

Edit: Stupid iPhone, it didn't the pictures! :mad: Well, the electric "SpinBrush" was $8 and a manual one was $.78 :mad:

-Alex

Last edited:

Rivem

I use the cheapest old Philips Sonicare brush. It was like 60 bucks with a bunch of heads which wasn't terrible, but replacements are where they get you.

I'll probably get an upgrade in a year or so though. I think a good electric brush only cleans slightly better, but the big deal for me is because receding gums are common in my family. Dentist told me that going electric would minimize my risk for it by a lot, so that's what I use.

Those replacements though... I can understand the base being costly, but the tips on a lot of the newer ones should only be like $5 max.

Benm

Why bamboo?

I suppose the electric toothbrush business is a bit like printers: they sell you the base unit at a low price, perhas even a loss, and then expect to regain profit from replacement brushes. Obviously the latter are available from ebay at variable cost and quality.

The whole thing made me think about the detal industry as a whole though. It's often recommended that people visit a dentist every 6 months or something like that. I could just ask 'why the hell'?

Not that teeth aren't imporant, but there are several bodyparts that are -much- more important to avoiding death. So why is it somehow logical to have your teeth x-rayed every 6 months or so, but not have something like your heart imaged at the same frequency? Given the choice i'd rather have to have a tooth pulled or repaired than say suffer death from cardiac failure on an aneurism...

And the latter actually happens sometimes. When working at the university here someone in his 40s actually died of an aneurism in the building i worked at, despite being under a kilometer away from the university hospital: i was a bit on alert since there were 2 ambulances at the entrance of the building which housed research of various subjects and risks, considering there had been some lab accident. Upon learnng the reason i would have preferred it to be some fluke lab accident really.