Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

TO build or to BUY?

The diode in a dpss is infrared. Probably just leave that alone as you might get the alignment of the crystal off, and buy one of those military 303 pens as they have been know to run that same power.
That is unless your goal is to have an infrared laser for say night vision through a ccd camera.

Last edited:

MY goal is to learn and understand. I am super interested so the more I can learn the better for me. If I end up messing it up then I mess it up maybe at that point I can figure out how to fix it.

The diode is an 808nm you cant see it but it will go through your eyes lens and damage your retina so be aware.

In that laser the 808 pumps a 2 part crystal yv04 and KTP first it converts 808 to 1064 then doubles 1064 to 532nm, 532 nm is green that you can see, the 808 is about 5 times as strong as the green beam you get out.

Then there's a double concave followed by a convex that is a little beam expander, there may be an ir filter but sometimes not and the 808 may or may not use a lens.

Just google dpss That's diode pumped solid state. Dpss green 532nm laser diagram.

That one you have uses a c-mount 808 in the back and is made to run longer lengths of time but the concept is the same as this image.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://images.search.yahoo.com/ima...att_001&hspart=att&type=att_pc_homerun_portal
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I did end up looking it up online and decided to pull this guy apart. It is really simple. Top comes out and you see the c mount diode. there are 2 lenses from what I can see on the diode with the front lens removed the top thick lens then right behind it is a very tiny peice that is held in place by the brass bar. It has a set screw that pushes the bar down and holds the piece in place. Here is picture of diode without heatsink.
20160219_2344341.jpg

Pman

Lots of good advise here and +REP to DTR for jumping in with an easy to understand explanation. Would REP a couple others but can't yet.
If you are into electronics my bet is you would really enjoy building your own. There's so many VERY easy options from just having to solder a couple wires together to customizing your own choice of host you would like to put a laser module in. Personally I am into building more than actually enjoying the end product. It's the accomplishment of making it all come together and finding ways to overcome issues such as how to fit the pieces parts in something others haven't done yet. Testing diodes and drivers and setting them in place with the output you decide you want and finding ways to make the project come together is pretty satisfying although personally I need to keep building more to stay interested.
I've started a thread to attempt to put more information together in a simpler way than what is spread out all over the place and although there isn't a lot of information yet here's the link:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/kiss-guide-building-laser-96330.html
I've been busy building units but I should be adding more information soon. There's just so much I want to do with it it's basically overwhelming.
So, the question is what equipment do you already own? To really get into building more than just soldering a couple wires together you need a multimeter (which you would of course own already), variable DC power supply (I would recommend a 5A or more one and honestly it doesn't have to be expensive), soldering station, diode press and extraction set, battery charger for at least 3.7V (which will charge them to 4.2V), helping hands (one of those things with clips on it to hold parts while you solder although I seem to like to hold the parts and see if I can burn my fingers instead of using it) and of course all the incidentals such as soldering paste, wire, shrink tubing, batteries etc...
Oh yeah, if there's one tool I use all the time to custom build it's a dremel. I don't have any machine tools and so I fake it with my dremel. Did I mention I love my dremel?
Have fun and be safe. Look at the builds here to see what others have done. Didn't intend all that to scare you away;)

I have everything you mentioned except for a proper power supply. I even have the stuff to to make customer printed circuit boards and the software to draw them out. I use a combination of multisim and eagle. I have so much crap my wife gets on to me all the time to get rid of some of it. NO WAY THAT IS HAPPENING. I will check out your thread thanks for sharing it.

Another thing I can't seem to find easily through the search function is information about drivers. So many option from fixed output to adjustable, boost, buck, linear. Which driver for which laser? Pros and cons of each?

Alright so boss just called me about a an LG blu-ray drive we got in today that has a bad motor in it. It's a LG BH08LS20 which is nice cause there is info about that drive all over the forums. So now I am going to have the three primary colors. RED, GREEN, BLUE. Now to get everything else to build these puppies!

Last edited:
Another thing I can't seem to find easily through the search function is information about drivers. So many option from fixed output to adjustable, boost, buck, linear. Which driver for which laser? Pros and cons of each?

Alright so boss just called me about a an LG blu-ray drive we got in today that has a bad motor in it. It's a LG BH08LS20 which is nice cause there is info about that drive all over the forums. So now I am going to have the three primary colors. RED, GREEN, BLUE. Now to get everything else to build these puppies!

Good luck on the harvest!I built a fun laser with parts from a digital copier...a very early one.It is like 680nm very deep red and the optics came from a color laser copier...a big fat beam that is pretty weak but the collimation is so good it makes a fun nighttime pointer.

Prices are good enough today that I think you can buy or build if you have good sources.Building is the only way to go if you want something non-typical.DTR sold me a couple of Nichia 515 modules and one of those combined with a custom 3 AA cell host gave me something I have wanted for a long time...a stable direct diode green that runs off eneloop pro cells.
Ehgemus made the host for me...and to my knowledge no one sells lasers like mine turn-key.It was fun to assemble and the final product is exactly what I wanted.Compared to off the shelf lasers it was a bit more but I paid the premium to get what I wanted.

If you buy your own drivers and harvest diodes and are really careful buying a host you can save some money.But guys like Jetlasers make such sweet products you may conclude buying one of their products is worth it.

It all depends on what you want and on your budget.For what it is worth I recommend DTR very highly and Ehgemus as well.

And Jetlasers.My 1.2 watt 520nm is a beast that was a freaking bargain @449 dollars.It is huge,powerful and beautiful as well.Definitely not a good choice for a beginner...but I really love it.

Reactions: GSS

On drivers-- check out this thread.

Thanks for all the info guys really appreciate it. I will always enjoy building over buying its just my nature. That being said I did purchase a couple things from DTR's shop. They just got shipped out today. Really looking forwards to receiving them. I will definitely share photos when I get done. One thing I really like to doing is building something one way and then changing it when I want something different.