Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Time Travel, is it possible?

daguin

NovoRei said:
The funny thing about physics is that everything has a "simetry". Thats is unchangeable.
If there is "p", "q" will be there too.

If "p" then "q" is one of the "laws" that would not exist. One cannot evaluate or even "view" a reality in which the "laws" are unknown. One cannot measure/gauge/consider that reality using the assumptions (laws) of this reality.

Stephan Hawking simply says, We can't talk about it. We don't (and can't) have the knowledge needed. It has no bearing on this reality. The rules were different. (That includes "if 'p' then 'q'")

I posit that it is impossible to teach cosmology to someone who does not yet understand philosophy. Empiricism is ineffective in this discussion.

Peace,
dave

Oh, you're talking about "IF" the universe would've been different? Yeah, is could be true.

@diachi: no, because the universe is different, the speed of light is 1m/s slower. we're gonna discuss this forever :p

diachi

no the speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s not 299,792,457m/s if it was slower the we probably would not exist, the universe is in an extremely delicate balance, slight changes can knock everything else out of sync.

Now heres a question for you, is time changeable or is it written in a perminant way ? answer that and give your reason, theres only one right answer ( unless mine and my friends idea was wrong ).

Diachi

Diachi said:
no the speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s not 299,792,457m/s if it was slower the we probably would not exist, the universe is in an extremely delicate balance, slight changes can knock everything else out of sync.

Now heres a question for you, is time changeable or is it written in a perminant way ? answer that and give your reason, theres only one right answer ( unless mine and my friends idea was wrong ).

Diachi

I still don't agree, the universe has to change for physic's laws to change.

A to your Q: Time and its units were created by US, men. If we changed the whole mathematical model, we could even make 1 minute be 100 seconds if we wanted, but the 1min = 60secs is established, and everything else is decyphered/distributed/don't know the word in english by the one we established. If you meant that you could change how many hours there are in a day then YES, assuming you changed the whole mathematical model. And NO if you just want 24hs. to be in it, considering 60 mins as 1 hour.

dude there's not always ONE right answer to everything, much less in a philosophy/metascienceSTUFF thread/section.

diachi

If you changed the way time is measured, then you would just be making the units longer or shorter ....

Haha, please read again my theory. I thought you got it with your response comment :S

'I'd go to the past to get lottery numbers'
Shouldn't it be to the future? :D

caleb said:
[quote author=GamerBR link=1214252608/72#73 date=1214856795]'I'd go to the past to get lottery numbers'
Shouldn't it be to the future? :D
maybe he means, BACK TO THE FUTURE!![/quote]

Well, if you got yesterday's lottery numbers, you'd be winning TODAY and not tomorrow ;).

Time is money!

I think topping or even reaching c for that matter is impossible. I mean think about it, you need a huge amount of energy to say, reach a tenth the speed of c. For this you need huge rocket boosters or what have you. The craft will be incredibly heavy as a result, and to move all this weight at a faster speed you'll need to add more weight and more weight and so on and so on..... eventually you'd need more materials and fuel than there is in the whole universe and you still haven't even gotten close! ;D

diachi

Actually, make a lot of small nuclear explosions at the back of your craft and you will go pretty amazingly fast, search it on wiki, nuclear propulsion drives ( I think thats the name anyway ) I actually came up with the same theory when I was 7 or 8 before I had read any of this ...

A mini particle colider would also work ;)

VillageIdiot said:
I think topping or even reaching c for that matter is impossible. I mean think about it, you need a huge amount of energy to say, reach a tenth the speed of c. For this you need huge rocket boosters or what have you. The craft will be incredibly heavy as a result, and to move all this weight at a faster speed you'll need to add more weight and more weight and so on and so on..... eventually you'd need more materials and fuel than there is in the whole universe and you still haven't even gotten close! ;D

and you havent even considered friction and the material's properties. there's a lot to think about.....but in the future..IN THE FUTURE......awwwww, everything will be awesome, you'll get greenies for free and neodymium magnets will be on your shoes, so you can fly.

everything will be cheap and.............wth? impossible, not with inflation :D

just imagine it'll be possible

IT WILL, dont you dare contradict Teh Chuck

diachi

your not chuck, thats an offense payable by death, impersonating CHUCK !!

yeah everything would be super cheap without tax and inflation.

I also have considered friction , there is none in space, and material/chemical properties, a big fat radiation/heat shield will protect the ship from the explosion, and also act like a sail by absorbing energy from the explosion pushing the craft forwards.

While I was making the last post I remembered that a solar sail would also work.

Diachi