Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Those cheap chinese 301 lasers

gozert

About a month ago I purchased a single laser 301 532nm unit from Gearbest, just to see what it was capable of. And I gotta say, I'm pretty amazed by the brightness of these things. I can now imagine why aircraft are being pointed at so frequently. Because these damn lasers put out like 60-70mW and you can get them for only 7.5$ with free shipping. Hell, my package didn't even get opened at the customs regardless of it clearly saying LASER ACCESSORIES. Oh come on. What will we have in five years from now for the same 7.5$, 1W 445nm's?

Just had to get this off my chest.

Last edited:

It is quite scary indeed, when technology becomes cheap it can either be a good or bad thing. 445 is pretty cheap nowadays so I doubt it will drop much further in price.

-Alex

Last edited:

gozert

That's true, but five years or so ago you definitely couldn't get a >50mW 532nm for anywhere near 8$. Let's just hope we don't have idiots running around with 1W lasers 5 years later.

That's true, but five years or so ago you definitely couldn't get a >50mW 532nm for anywhere near 8$. Let's just hope we don't have idiots running around with 1W lasers 5 years later.

Let's hope so, or else this hobby will be in even more trouble then it is now.

-Alex

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Alex, not to derail the thread, but I notice you've reset your post count and reputation. :confused:

Alex, not to derail the thread, but I notice you've reset your post count and reputation. :confused:

I fixed my username haha, realized AlexExtrodinary looked a little funny. I also donated to the forums as a way to thank Avery for taking the time to deal with me :D

Asked Avery to link my previous account one last time.

-Alex

gozert

I still don't get why your post count and rep got reset though. Couldn't you have him delete the account with the name you wanted and have your own name changed instead?

I still don't get why your post count and rep got reset though. Couldn't you have him delete the account with the name you wanted and have your own name changed instead?

No, Avery wants me to make a new account & he then transfers over all my previous account information from the old one :beer:

-Alex

gozert

Oh okay got it. So this is just temporary. I was already thinking "are you really going to sacrifice all your post count and rep for a new name?". By the way, why not have name changed to Alexthenamechanger? Haha just kidding :)

Oh okay got it. So this is just temporary. I was already thinking "are you really going to sacrifice all your post count and rep for a new name?". By the way, why not have name changed to Alexthenamechanger? Haha just kidding :)

Oh...that's a good idea lol. I think I'll stick with this one haha, it's perfect :D

-Alex

gozert

or AlexTheAvatarChanger haha :D

Haha, frequently changing avatars is worse than names though. I always remember avatars, rarely ever names. Alex's name I'll remember though, probably the first member to change his name 3 times :D

or AlexTheAvatarChanger haha :D

Haha, frequently changing avatars is worse than names though. I always remember avatars, rarely ever names. Alex's name I'll remember though, probably the first member to change his name 3 times :D

I see the avatar has changed yet again, what will it be tomorrow?

I never bought a 301 and don't intend to. I am happy with my 520nm that I assembled myself, however my first green wasn't much less powerful because it had a very visible beam in dim lighting. It was a cheap 532nm pen that I still have but it only lasted for 10 days. I bought it on Amazon for about $11 I think.

Alan

I had one of those 301/303 too and is really powerful, but isn't just the 301/303's, the OX-G40 I bought for $16 have the same power, and I think most of the Chinese lasers, including the pen style ones, are of the same power.

What gets the attention are certainly, the 'light a match' advertisements, when someone see somebody firing a match with a laser, it passes to be a 'must have' gadget, that people actually doesn't know what it can do (like reaching a aircraft).

Last edited: