Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Those Automatic Doors At Supermarkets

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrittanyGulden

Most of them operate using an Infrared sensor, correct?

I've heard of ppl tinkering w/ the transmitters that sit above stoplights using IR lasers.

Is there any way to freeze an automatic door so ppl run into them?

I wanna make an auto door crash compilation, & upload on Youtube & get paid

:wave:

lmfao

Careful with that. You may remember videos of people running against glass doors, making them shatter, this can very dangerous, but i'm all in favor of a good non-destructive prank. :na:

I've seen someone shut off a street lantern with a laser, which would actually be mighty useful. How is that done and how long till it comes back on again?

Not sure about disabling a motion sensor with a laser, seems like it would open the door. However they have a switch to turn off the auto door feature usually on top the door. Not all that high tec but perhaps it would work for ya. Also don't get the shop owner or yourself sued.

B

BrittanyGulden

Lol, right away....

pshht... like they'd know it was me? Can't see IR & you think the employee's at wallyworld are going to be smart enough to even hit the playback on the security camera?

lol no

I guess if I wanted to "go hard," I could wear a beard w/ a bunch of high intensity diodes so all the cam would see is a flash covering my face.

Most of them operate using an Infrared sensor, correct?
I've heard of ppl tinkering w/ the transmitters that sit above stoplights using IR lasers.
Is there any way to freeze an automatic door so ppl run into them?
I wanna make an auto door crash compilation, & upload on Youtube & get paid

lmfao

The better door detectors use Microwave motion sensors.
You can check their output signal with a Radar detector ..

EDIT...

BTW... interfering with an automatic public exit/entrance
door is illegal...
If anyone sees anyone in the news that got injured by a
blocked/tampered with automatic public exit/entrance door
they can always send the authorities to this Thread...:whistle:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

Things

Hitting them with a laser, provided they were IR based, would just jam them open. Standing next to a door pointing something at it is going to be suspicious whether or not you can see the beam anyway. Don't be stupid with lasers, it's the reason they've been banned.

I've seen someone shut off a street lantern with a laser, which would actually be mighty useful. How is that done and how long till it comes back on again?

Street lights typically use photocells to turn them on/off.
Definition of photocell: "A type of resistor that decreases in resistance when it is exposed to light. Also known as photoresistor, light-dependent resistor, and photoconductor."

The photocell is usually mounted on the top of the light itself or on/near top of the pole. Sometimes one photocell will be used to control several lights.

Most street lights are "High Intensity Discharge" lamps which are powered by ballasts and are usually metal-halide or high pressure sodium. Older lights may use mercury-vapor lamps. Once one of these lamps is turned off the arc tube inside needs to cool down before it can restart (called restrike time). The legnth of time this takes depends on the type of ballast and bulb used in the light, you could expect it to take anywhere from two to twenty minutes or so.

I do not know the range of wavelegnths photocells respond to, someone else here can answer that I'm sure.

Cool, thanks! That would actually be very useful. I live in a dead-end street with 6 houses, nobody is out at night, but that one streetlight keeps polluting the night sky, would be nice though if it could stay off longer. Maybe once i found the sensor i could rig a light to it, which i could turn on and off with a remote.

Well, shining lasers at doors didn't get them banned, but dangerous jokes like shinning them at cars, aircrafts and so on, which for some reason also became a concern here, though i really don't get why people do that, as it can turn bad quite quick quite obviously.

Last edited:
You know, a well-lit street deters crime and improves safety. I also live on a dead-end street, with only three neighbors. We had no street light, but one of the neighbors installed a street light and powers it at his own expense just for the safety and crime deterrence factor.

I would leave it alone, or spend the money on some decent window blinds if it's that much a bother.

Last edited:
Well, who ever wants to break into our home doesn't even have to bring his own flashlight thanks to that streetlight. In all seriousness though: When i turn it off then i'm most likely not far away, though i doubt anything would happen, considering nothing has in the last 1/4 century, and we have metal roller shutters.

Lights are a big concern for people trying to observe the night sky, especially in a over-crowded place like germany. :<

Last edited:
B

BrittanyGulden

The better door detectors use Microwave motion sensors.
You can check their output signal with a Radar detector ..

EDIT...

BTW... interfering with an automatic public exit/entrance
door is illegal...
If anyone sees anyone in the news that got injured by a
blocked/tampered with automatic public exit/entrance door
they can always send the authorities to this Thread...:whistle:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

My username is made up. My IP address is constantly changing. I'm living in New Mexico today. I wonder where I'll be in 10 minutes.

I am invisible:san:

Ha, you guys are no fun. You honestly think I'm going to be using a 250mW+ laser in public. Lmfao, maybe a 5

Yeah Yeah, 5mW is "enough" to damange your eyes. What if it's not focused? Okay, now you guys are picking nits & grits. What's next, too much radiation? Might as well start whining about not wearing sunscreen when it's 75 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

lol kidding guys

Last edited:
I am invisible:san:

No your not. You still have to run through your original ISP to get through to a proxy. Even if you jack a niehgbors connection your OS ...and chip has identification ...along with all the programs that run on your machine that log you actions. If they physicaly catch you all they need is your machine to find everything your doing. Only real hacks are invisable ...and they would not be doing anything stupid like this to bring attention to themselfs.

Joke...pranks...and other crimes using lasers is what is getting them banned across the world. If you really need to do something stupid wit a laser keep it to yourself because your making the hobby ...and yourself look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.