Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

This may be why EBAY stopped sales of 5mw> lasers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I thought I would make this little story explaining why I think ebay is ending the selling of high powered lasers.

Its all explained in my little story.

EBAY CUSTOMER age: 20
BOB age: 21

THE FOLLOWING IS LASER STUPIDITY AT ITS BEST

EB customer: I've always wanted a green laser pointer.  They look really cool.  What do you think Bob?

Bob: I've heard of them before, but where do you get one?

EB customer: ebay has everything!  Let me look there.

Bob: sounds good.

EB customer: LOOK, I found one!!  Woah, why is it so much money?

Bob: it must be rare or something.

EB customer: Maybe it is.  It says high quality green laser pointer 250mw.  But what the heck is a mw?

Bob: maybe its the quality of it or something.

EB customer: Aw who cares.  Its a great laser it says.  I don't want one that will break.  I guess I'll buy it.

Bob: sounds good to me.  I cant wait to see it when it gets here.

a few weeks later...

EB customer: ITS HERE!!!l I'll put the batteries in it right away.  WOW!!! thats really bright!!.

Bob: DUDE, stop shining that thing around its really bright for my eyes!!  That looks like it could cause damage!  Be careful.

EB customer: What are you worried about?  Its just a laser pointer.  Everybody knows that lasers can't hurt anyone.  We have one from the dollar store and I even looked into it and it didn't do anything to me.

Bob: Yeah, but this one is really bright.  I don't know...

EB customer: C'mon, why would they make a dangerous laser pointer?  I'm sure there is a good reason for why its so bright.

Bob: maybe your right.  I don't think it wll blind anyone, but still its bright and it hurts my eyes so don't shine it at me.

EB customer: Fine.  But lets go play with it outside.

Bob: ok, I really want to see how far it will go.

EB customer:  DUDE, it goes REALLY far!!

Bob: wow!! look at it go!

EB customer:  HEY, you think I can hit that car over there?

Bob: you probably should watch what you do with that.

EB customer: there isn't anybody in it.

Bob: oh, then I guess its okay then.

EB customer:  ITS WORKING!

Bob: neat

EB customer: Awesome!  I can't wait to test this at night!

Bob: Don't get too carried away and miss the party tonight.

EB customer: I won't, trust me.  I'll bring this laser with me.  I'm sure everyone else will think its cool!

Bob: see you tonight then.

Night time...

Bob: I can't come with you tonight, I have other things I forgot had to be done.

EB customer: Thats ok, I'll see you later then.  Careful on the way out, its a little icy.

at the party...

EB customer: (thinking to himself) Wow, lots of beer and food.  Time for the laser.  I bet It would look cool on the disco ball!  NEAT my own laser show.

after the party...

Bob: how was the party?

EB customer: It was great!  I think everyone was drunk or something.

Bob: why is that?

EB customer: When everyone was leaving, some people were bumping into each other like they couldn't see straight.

Bob: I don't drink so I couln't explain it.  Are you sure they weren't just being rude?

EB customer: nah, I think they were drunk.  A few people kept talking about how wild was.  I guess they liked the laser show I made a lot!

Bob: sounds like a fun party.

EB customer: see you tomorrow.

the next morning...

Bob: I need to go to the airport to visit an old friend in Ohio, but my car broke down.  Could you drive me there?

EB customer: sure.

At the air port...

EB customer: Wow, the security is tight around here!

Bob: sure is.  look at how long the baggage scan line is.

EB customer: I'm not sure if I want to wait that long.  You get in line and I will sit on the side and watch the planes.

EB customer: (thinking)  Let me see if I can reach that landing plane with the laser.[ NEAT!

security comes over "FREEZE!!"

EB customer: WOAH!! whats going on?

Security: your under arrest.

EB customer: wait why? for what?

Security: Terrorist crimes.

EB customer: Terrorist?  I didn't do anything wrong.

Security:  Where did you get this illegal laser?

EB customer:  Its not illegal, I GOT IT OFF EBAY!!

end of story.

Its kinda easy to see that stupid people with high power lasers is bad.

C

Chris.

Re: This may be why EBAY stopped sales of 5mw> las

Your story lacks the part where the laser breaks after he first opens the package. ;D

then there wouldn't be a story.

C

Chris.

Indeed. Think of all the idiots that are allowed guns in America though..

Chris. said:
Indeed. Think of all the idiots that are allowed guns in America though..

Are you joking? :-?

C

Chris.

a_pyro_is said:
[quote author=Chris. link=1198277260/0#3 date=1198278179]Indeed. Think of all the idiots that are allowed guns in America though..

Are you joking? :-?[/quote]

Nope, I am drunk though. Ignore me.

Things

IS this true?? Shurely people wouldn't be THAT stupid, if they were, i dunno how they found out how to turn on their computer.

A simple way to end that, just put that they can and will hurt somone.
And tell what a mW is. Simple.

It is possible to be really stupid.  I saw a video of someone popping shiny balloons with his 150mw laser and the reflection was shining right into his face!  Stupid if you ask me.  Good thing it was a Wicked Laser, it may have only been like 50mw anyway. ;D

I made this a simple story giving good examples of what not to do at almost every part of it.  It is stupidity at its best.

Shining at planes is stupid

Shining it at cars is stupid

Being reckless with it around a crowd is stupid

GETTING IT FROM EBAY IS STUPID!!! ;D ;D ;D lol

Switch

Dude, at least part of that is plausible,  I'm drunk right now....Of course I wouldn't do anty of that stuff cause I know how dangerous it is.....but I have to admit, firs time I saw the kipkay video I couldn't belive that a laser poiner could be so powerfull to light a match and pop a balloon.....If you would've handed me a 250mW green laser at that time and didn't tell me anything about it who knows what I would have done with it(well I probably wouldn't shine it in my eye, or into a discoball, or in someone else's eyes but still.....)I'm not stupid at all(well I like to think so, I took lots of crappy online IQ test and ussualy got over 130....+ I was always top of my class...+I'm kinda averege with the ladies  ;D)
Anyway, my point is that some people mught actually do some of the stuff Phazonx described in his original post without meaning any harm, just by plain lack of knowledge....
Thats why lasers are so dangerous some times...some times more dangerous that guns, because people don;t know what their capable of....Anyone knows that shooting another person can cause death.....but VERY FEW ppl know that shining a laser into one's eyes can cause PERMANENT DAMAGE to their vision or shining a laser at a vehicle (car or plane/helicopter) in the worst case can cause DEATHS..... :eek:

I really think that if high powered lasers get more accesible ,then warnings about them should get even more popular :p

And about ebay stoping class 3b or higher lasers being sold, I don't know what to say, there are a lot of multiwatt lasers being sold on ebay being advertised as "FRICKIN CLASS 4 100W LASERS" so I don;t really see what they're trying to proove by removing some of the auctions,since way more dangerous ones are being sold..........

They are following FDA CDRH guidelines regarding pointing devices. Phazonx, weren't you just complaining in a previous post about someone calling the cops because you were shining your laser on the mountainside and at a barn or something? Seems to me with this post you need to make a decision. Are you going to be part of the problem or part of the solution?

All powerful handhelds meet FDA regulation regarding safety systems in order to be sold legally but I'm sure eBay does not care to have to evaluate every single portable laser offer on their auction system.

Here's the relevant FDA excerpt:

Important Information for Laser Pointer Manufacturers

What is the purpose of this document?

This document interprets FDA regulatory requirements as they apply to laser pointers, explains the power limits for these products, and the applicable requirements for information for safe use and for promotional materials. The document also discusses inappropriate use of high-powered, battery-operated, portable lasers.

How are laser products classified?

Lasers are generally classified according to the hazard posed by the amount and type of light they emit. Hazard classes range from Class I to IV with Class I lasers being non-hazardous and Class IV lasers being the most hazardous.

* Class I products include laser printers and CD players where the laser radiation is usually contained within the product. Products exceeding Class I permit access to some amount of laser radiation.
* Class II and IIa products include bar code scanners.
* Class IIIa products include laser pointers.
* Class IIIb and IV products include laser light shows, industrial lasers, research lasers.

What is a laser pointer?

Laser pointers are hand-held lasers that are promoted for pointing out objects or locations. Such laser products can meet one of two definitions for laser products. The first is for “surveying, leveling, and alignment laser products” as defined by Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Section 1040.10(b)(39):

“Surveying, leveling, or alignment laser product means a laser product manufactured, designed, intended or promoted for one or more of the following uses:

(i) Determining and delineating the form, extent, or position of a point, body, or area by taking angular measurement.

(ii) Positioning or adjusting parts in proper relation to one another.

(iii) Defining a plane, level, elevation, or straight line.”

Hand-held lasers promoted for entertainment purposes or amusement also meet the second definition, that of “demonstration laser products” as defined by 21 CFR 1040.10(b)(13):

“Demonstration laser product means a laser product manufactured, designed, intended, or promoted for purposes of demonstration, entertainment, advertising display, or artistic composition.”

If a laser product is promoted for pointing purposes, either of these definitions can apply.

Does FDA have a mandatory limit on the power emitted by laser pointers?

Yes. Laser products promoted for pointing and demonstration purposes are limited to hazard Class IIIa by FDA regulation.

21 CFR 1040.11(b) and 1040.11(c), limit surveying, leveling, and alignment, and demonstration laser products to Class IIIa. This means that pointers are limited to 5 milliwatts output power in the visible wavelength range from 400 to 710 nanometers. There are also limits for any invisible wavelengths and for short pulses. Pointers may not exceed the accessible emission limits of CDRH Class IIIa or IEC1 Class 3R.

Are Class IIIa laser pointers dangerous?

Class IIIa or IEC Class 3R lasers can be dangerous. Class IIIa lasers can cause temporary visual effects such as flash blinding, which could distract or startle the person exposed. The risk of injury is very small when Class IIIa pointers are used responsibly because natural body motion of a person holding the pointer or motion of a person who might be exposed makes it difficult to expose the eyes for a long period of time. People also have a natural aversion to bright lights and are likely to close their eyes and turn their heads if exposed.

What are class IIIb lasers and are they dangerous?

Lasers that emit between 5mW and 500mW output power are in Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B. Class IIIb lasers cannot legally be promoted as laser pointers or demonstration laser products. Product labels and user instructions must describe the hazard classification of the product and its output characteristics.

With any laser product, the potential for injury depends both on the product itself and how the product is used. Higher powered Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B lasers are dangerous and can cause either temporary visual effects or an eye injury.

What is the problem with more powerful Class IIIb lasers being promoted and sold as pointers?

Class IIIb hand-held lasers are too dangerous for use as pointers or amusement articles. Furthermore, promotion of Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B products for pointing or amusement violates FDA requirements and United States law. Manufacturers of such products may be required to repair, replace, or refund the purchase price of violative products distributed in the U.S. These products are also subject to detention and seizure by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection when imported.

Irresponsible use of more powerful laser pointers poses a significant risk of injury to the people exposed. Persons who misuse or irresponsibly use lasers are open to personal liability and prosecution.

EDITED TO ADD ADDITIONAL FDA INFORMATION:

Can battery-operated, portable laser systems be sold in the U.S?

Yes, battery-operated, portable laser systems can be sold in the U.S., providing that they fully comply with the standard, are certified and reported, and are not Class IIIb lasers sold or promoted for pointing or amusement purposes.

People who operate Class IIIb portable laser systems should be familiar with the above ANSI standards for safe use of lasers. This ANSI series of standards includes specific information for the safe use of such laser products in their applications of use.

Skram0

Switch said:
just by plain lack of knowledge....
Actually it's just lack of common sense. I think many people are a bit short in that area at times.

Switch said:
I don;t really see what they're trying to proove by removing some of the auctions,since way more dangerous ones are being sold..........
They're just filling their quota and doing their job. If they didn't do anything, just think how crazy eBay would be. People would be selling human appendages or something. At least this way they can tell the people who complain about eBay that they do try to keep it clean and safe.

Rasel

things said:
IS this true?? Shurely people wouldn't be THAT stupid, if they were, i dunno how they found out how to turn on their computer.
Ha, you would be surprised, my friend!

wooooooolazer said:
Thats why they make videos how to turn them on ;D, i prefer to turn them on with a banana cause you can eat it after but you have to go buy another one to turn on your computer again :((p.s. watch video, you understand :p)

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/327451/parody_how_to_turn_on_your_computer/

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D
Ha! I lol'ed so much the first time I saw that video....

Status
Not open for further replies.