Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

This Lethal Laser Could Cripple ISIS

Teej

As far as wrecking the car engine at one mile....you do realize a sniper with a 50 cal could do the same thing, and, you don't need anything this fancy to do it?

:D

Even if the 50 cal needed a few shots to zero in, the car would be toast.

I also noticed that the car was propped up so the hood was more perpendicular to the beam.

That, to me, indicates that hitting the hood there at a normal angle of incidence would not work, as the beam might ricochet off, etc....so the target has to present more square to the laser to be more effective.

I wonder for example what would happen if the beam hit the side glass, or, the windshield.

As far as wrecking the car engine at one mile....you do realize a sniper with a 50 cal could do the same thing, and, you don't need anything this fancy to do it?

I also noticed that the car was propped up so the hood was more perpendicular to the beam.

That, to me, indicates that hitting the hood there at a normal angle of incidence would not work, as the beam might ricochet off, etc....so the target has to present more square to the laser to be more effective.

I wonder for example what would happen if the beam hit the side glass, or, the windshield.

Glass absorbs far IR, I think the glass would shatter violently and then it would toast the people inside who are already blind from the flying glass. :eek:

Alan

Teej

Glass absorbs far IR, I think the glass would shatter violently and then it would toast the people inside who are already blind from the flying glass. :eek:

Alan

That works, although if you can crash a Jumbo Jet with a 50 mw Chinese laser pointer, obviously, we could crash a mere car with perhaps a candle?

:thinking:

That works, although if you can crash a Jumbo Jet with a 50 mw Chinese laser pointer, obviously, we could crash a mere car with perhaps a candle?

:thinking:

I think higher power density is required, however just wait until all the cars are replaced with those new self driving cars. I think there will be a back door built in so military or CIA can crash any car they want to.

Alan

kilter

You know these could end up being a really cheap alternative to missiles and bombs, but if you need a jetliner sized aircraft then that's no good, you can't fly it over a war zone or it would get shot down. Someone needs to invent a small lightweight battery or generator that can do at least 10,000 Amps at 4.2V for a reasonable amount of time. :crackup: So someone get to work on that right now.

Alan

I GOT IT!!!
infinite_power-78.jpg

you are missing the point. This is so much better and much more accurate than a sniper. Snipers need to be still to perform with any effect and could never ever shoot from a moving plane and hit their target.
Also I believe this laser could have torched that truck even if they didn't position it on an angle. You think the front end has different metal than the hood and the laser wouldn't burn through? I'm thinking the angle provided a nice target for test purpose so the plane didn't have to aim straight down for their test shot.

you are missing the point. This is so much better and much more accurate than a sniper. Snipers need to be still to perform with any effect and could never ever shoot from a moving plane and hit their target.
Also I believe this laser could have torched that truck even if they didn't position it on an angle. You think the front end has different metal than the hood and the laser wouldn't burn through? I'm thinking the angle provided a nice target for test purpose so the plane didn't have to aim straight down for their test shot.

Well they do have a very advanced (and expensive) system used on the attack helicopters where the pilot can just look to aim the gun, if he can see it he can hit it, but everytime you fire a weapon it costs money. This laser would be so much cheaper if you didn't need ammo and only needed to recharge it. And for the environmentalists out there it's also much more green, no lead or DU rounds polluting the environment, and less factories making that environmentally unfriendly stuff. Just death and destruction instead. Just wait until they have these on ships, aircraft, and land units. That will alter the battlefield and the dangers involved, then they will have to develop space based weapons and better stealth technology and better electronic warfare technology.

Alan

That will alter the battlefield and the dangers involved, then they will have to develop space based weapons and better stealth technology and better electronic warfare technology.

Hmm, mounting this on something in orbit? THAT would be awesome! :D
Just imagine, orbital laser strikes! And due to the fact that it's in space, ISIS can't hijack it!