Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

This 200-Trillion Watt Laser Produces Plasma Hotter Than The Sun

APEX1

I had to read the thread listing twice just so I could process what I was seeing lol. I must of heard the same thing a billion times especially when a fan boy on youtube thinks he has really bought a 100000000mw laser from china on ebay.

:crackup:

to be honest i thought this thread was going to be about some china 532nm laser labeled as 200 trillion watt or something, even when i clicked the link i still thought that, until the page loaded

Very Interesting, Nice Find!

gozert

Brb taking planes down with my 200-trillion watts handheld laser.

Last edited:

joeyss

Anyone see some of the comments? The pic really does look like the scene from half life one.

anderp

200 trillion watts for one trillionth of a second...

By napkin physics this means it puts out the same amount of power a 2 watt laser outputs over one second...

That's not a useless amount of power, should be enough to light a match :p

joeyss

By napkin physics this means it puts out the same amount of power a 2 watt laser outputs over one second...

Neat thanks.

I can't even imagine a one trillionth second pulse that must be so hard to set up.

anderp said:

If it is 200 trillion watts for one trillionth of a second that would be equal to 200 watts for one second, or a 200 joule pulse.

Although they don't say it, it looks like the laser might be a Nd:YAG laser (or similar) because they say "The green light is caused by the second harmonic of the laser, and is produced by a nonlinear process taking place at the laser-plasma interface". Interesting that the plasma can do SHG.