Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ThermoElectric Coolers (TECs)

Gazoo

I can't do t with this peltier because I already mounted the block. Plus I really need to get a meter with a temp. probe.

Jim,
I am having very good results with the Meredith module and block. It cools nicely, but of course takes longer to cool than my little Aixiz module. And like the GB diode, I do believe the open can is also putting out more power when kept cooled. I did take it up to 300ma's and will not go any higher until I get some more DVD burners to rip apart.... ;D

Here is a pic to give you an idea of how it looks all mounted up. It doesn't take much surface area for the glue to hold it. I did not clamp it down or anything...I just let the glue dry as is. This will make it easier to remove if I ever decide to. But so far I really like it just like it is..awesome.. ;)

meredithpeltoerky3.jpg

JES

Gazoo said:
I can't do t with this peltier because I already mounted the block. Plus I really need to get a meter with a temp. probe.

Jim,
I am having very good results with the Meredith module and block. It cools nicely, but of course takes longer to cool than my little Aixiz module.  And like the GB diode, I do believe the open can is also putting out more power when kept cooled. I did take it up to 300ma's and will not go any higher until I get some more DVD burners to rip apart.... ;D

Here is a pic to give you an idea of how it looks all mounted up. It doesn't take much surface area for the glue to hold it. I did not clamp it down or anything...I just let the glue dry as is. This will make it easier to remove if I ever decide to. But so far I really like it just like it is..awesome.. ;)
It looks good!  The block is a good room temp heatsink by itself.  It is also a temperature buffer though so the Peltier would take longer to do its magic on the LD.  I have been thinking about perhaps sealing things up and cranking the Peltier up a bit.  Its all premature for me I am afraid.  Perhaps next weekend.

I am also still toying around with what it would take to mill out some of that block to accept a peltier.  It would make a much better project but I don't have experience in it.  

Does the one Peltier do the job?  

Gazoo

One peltier easily does the job. I am only running 150ma's into it and it keeps the block at just below room temp. Imagine if I ran the full 4 amps into it.. ;D

Things

it will be -5 hehehe ;D that hot side heatsink seems awefully big! i reckon you could use a computer heatsink, and it still won't get hot ;D ;D

Gazoo

Believe it or not, running the peltier at full power, the heatsink does start to heat up. But is is way too big just for cooling the diode. Those little heatsinks like you see on a motherboard are just about right ... ;)

Nevertheless things, when I get a meter with a temp probe I will compete with you... ;D

What are you using the measure the temp of your peltier???

Things

i am using some temperature measing thing? i'm not sure what it is now, i'll have a look later ;D ;D

Things

now where to get a high amperage power supply? ;D ;D ;D ;D that's right, the ones at my schol can go up to 20 amps ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gazoo

things said:
i am using some temperature measing thing? i'm not sure what it is now, i'll have a look later ;D ;D

Thank you for your very informative and enlightening post.. ;D

Things

ya your welcome ;D ;D ;D although i could just go down to ebay and get one of those 300 watt peltiers ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Things

and water cool it ;D ;D and push 20v @ 20amps through it? ::) ::) ;D ;Ddamn i'm giving away my ideas ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gazoo

This is pretty funny, as I previously posted my set up will light a white headed match instantly..I just realized it will also burn a hole clean through it.. ;D

Things

haha that is amazing!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: my diode is going on a peltier garanteed!that is some serious power!

Things

ok i just ordered 2 peltiers :) they should be here tommorow or the next day, but no later ;) yay!!

JES

Gazoo said:
Poor little match, it had no chance for survival ;D
That is the 20x open can in the Meredith module with peltior running at what mA? How long did it take to cut through?

Gazoo

I was running it at 240ma's. Also it was about a foot away.

It took a few passes and a few minutes. It could be done in less time if I had something more stable to aim with. I do believe the combination of TEC cooling and the acrylic lens is making a difference.