Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The unexpected 593.5

ktroy

I just got one from ebay, and when I put in 2x nimh batteries, the laser stays green for an unbelievable amount of time and takes forever to warm up. Once it finally turns amber, it is maybe just a tad brighter than a 5mw 635nm pointer.

After trying a 10440 battery, it starts right up in amber very nice and bright, but last only a few moments and will slowly die down to extremely low brightness, even much dimmer than a 5mw red pointer. I tried 3x nimh with same results. when I first turn it on when it's cold, it will be bright for maybe 10 seconds. But after it warms, it just puts out an extremely short burst of bright, then immediately falls down to 5mw red levels or below.

Did I get a dud? Pretty unimpressed.

10 secs is a bit short lived. I've got a couple of these and they all behave about the same on one 10440. An almost unnoticeably short burst of green before the switching to orange and after about a minute of use the output starts to drop off sharply. I suspect the crystals are getting heat soaked and drastically losing efficiency. After about 5mins of cool down its back to business as usual

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Mine using two AAA batteries does tend to drop off after about 30 seconds of on time. If I start to use it in a cool room like in my basement it can stay green for at least 20 seconds before hopping to yellow. If I hold it in my hand to warm it up before use I find it will hop to yellow are only a second or two, although the brightness of the yellow is still quite unstable.

This picture was after I had it on for just under a minute. In the time it took to get the shot setup it had already peaked in brightness and was getting more dull.

All lasers are 5mW in this pic except the 488 Sanwu pocket which is around 60mW. 635nm, the 593.5, 532, 488, and 450.

2.jpg

ktroy

So I turned the pot down 1/8 of a turn and it helped a ton with the duty cycle. I feel as though it is now on par with what everyone else is experiencing. I am now getting ~20 seconds of use before an immediate step down. A 2 min cool down will allow it a full 20 sec go again.

after about a minute of use the output starts to drop off sharply
Do you really get a full minute of use? If so, I may try to issue a return as I am not getting close to this.

Mine using two AAA batteries does tend to drop off after about 30 seconds of on time.
Have you tried running 3xnimh or a 10440? I am curious how yours would perform with the higher voltage. Regardless, that pic is very impressive! Where in the world did you get a 5mw 450nm? Very cool!

Just did a two minute test, my meter can't resolve fractions of a milliwatt.

Start - 12mW
10secs - 16mW
20secs- 15mW
30secs - 12mW
40secs - 11mW
50secs - 10mW
60secs - 9mW
70secs - 8mW
80secs - 8mW
90secs - 8mW
100secs - 8mw
110Secs - 8mW
120secs - 7mW

The best usage is definitely in the first minute. Thats with a 10440 and spacer.

yuzomazo

On a site called Laserlince, it is written that these modules produce 593nm laser light with VBG technique using BIBO (bismuth borate) crystal, is this true?

If not, does anyone know what method and crystal was used?

tinkertavernco

On a site called Laserlince, it is written that these modules produce 593nm laser light with VBG technique using BIBO (bismuth borate) crystal, is this true?

If not, does anyone know what method and crystal was used?
These aren't 593nm, they are 593.5nm. I believe that they are SFG of 1342/1064nm using Nd:YVO4.