Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The thread about "real" goggles/glasses. . .

Looks like you're basically covered in the safety department. I wouldn't worry too much about setting things on fire though. The burning will be more close up, and depends a lot on the color of what you point at. My desk has quite a few burn marks :p

Teej

As an update, I got the NoIR DBY Laser Shields - and I was pleased with the light transmission, no worse than tinted sunglasses.

14009118652_2f5a2265ed_s.jpg

190 - 534 + 960 - 1064 OD 7+

925 - 1070 OD 6+

850 - 925 OD 5+

35% VLT

(Style #39)

I paid $60 including shipping.

I've seen them for over twice that, so I feel I got a good deal.

:D

I don't have an answer but thought I'd add my question here:
I purchased these glasses :Yiding Safety Glasses 190nm-540nm Eye Green Blue Laser Protection Goggles Red - - Amazon.com

Here are the quoted specs:
Protection Wavelength: from 190nm to 540nm
Protection Features: All-round absorption
Visible Light Transmittance: >55%
Optical Density: > 5.0, (OD +5, OD +6)
Attenuation: (10-6 < N% < 10-4)
The length of temple is adjustable (3.6 - 4.5 inch / 9 - 11.4cm)
Size: Approx. 15 x 5.5 x 5.5 cm

I am building a 2watt 445nM laser and wonder if you experts think I have adequate protection?

pro11

Hello guys, i bought the new eagle pair od 7+.
They are just arrived, tomorrow i will test them :D

I'd throw in on a great pair of glasses that would protect from the 445- 465nm range...

It's too bad nobody makes glasses that let you see the laser beam in all it's glory and still protect your eyes at the same time......

Last edited:

diachi

It's too bad nobody makes glasses that let you see the laser beam in all it's glory and still protect your eyes at the same time......

Well yeah, it's physically impossible.

Also, please avoid necroposting unless you have something of value to add.

Last edited:
All right I have to ask, What is "necroposting" ?

Nevermind I looked it up and you can't necropost a sticky because they are already at the top of the list ! and add to that if enough people want to get together to buy great safety glasses at a discount I was letting it be known that you can count me in, Saving money is always of value !

Last edited:
hey, guys.

im long time forum viewer but new to the hobby. I was first into laser when i was 8 years old. I would get everything laser book in the library and fantasize about building ruby and argon lasers.

That never happened.

Anyways. im over 30 now and i finally got a 1w 445 laser and these eagle goggles.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DP2HJ0S/

I am trying to find info via search but havent had much luck.

My question is, is it ok to look at the beam with this goggles? For example, if the dot is a foot in front of me on a table, is it safe to look at with these goggles on? Do I need more powerful goggles? Thank you.
I am terrified of mishandling laser and I want to enjoy hobby with utmost respect and safety. Thank you

Last edited:

diachi

hey, guys.

im long time forum viewer but new to the hobby. I was first into laser when i was 8 years old. I would get everything laser book in the library and fantasize about building ruby and argon lasers.

That never happened.

Anyways. im over 30 now and i finally got a 1w 445 laser and these eagle goggles.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DP2HJ0S/

I am trying to find info via search but havent had much luck.

My question is, is it ok to look at the beam with this goggles? For example, if the dot is a foot in front of me on a table, is it safe to look at with these goggles on? Do I need more powerful goggles? Thank you.
I am terrified of mishandling laser and I want to enjoy hobby with utmost respect and safety. Thank you

Yes, that's fine. They're perfectly safe for doing that, they're intended to protect your eyes from a direct exposure mostly, so anything less than a direct exposure (specular reflection, diffuse reflection etc) will also be safe.

That said, you won't see much of the dot or any of the beam with them on.

Thank you for your reply.

What if the the goggles are hit with diffused reflection? Will they protect my retinas?

Thank you

I just Purchased an eagle pair of laser safety goggles rated from 190-540nM and OD5 rating.

ok so i need to get eagle pair to protect me from my (just ordered) 1.6w 445nm laser.

but currently i can't afford those.
what is the next best thing? it's going into an engraver and all i need goggles for is focussing the dot on reduced power.
during engraving it will be enclosed. (and i might take the occasional peak with the laser dot just barely blocked by the door) so no direct laser light.
can i get away with buying 5 dollar red goggles (even if they are lying about it being od5+) atleast untill my next paycheck

GSS

On the cheapie better than nothing glasses iv'e had better luck buying from "HDE"
They are thicker lensed, thicker framed, smoother on the edges with no casting flashes. Iv'e compared and measured the lenses and frame's to similar ebay ones and they just are better build wise.
Now thickness doesn't mean better glasses as for example the poly vinyl die mixture can slip through whatever type of QC they might have?
If you do order a pair, I would test them on one of the side lens..
The red "lensed" for blue and green lasers would be the better choice as the have a 35% VLT compared to the green lensed.
You will find out quickly that the Eagles at 50% VLT are far better for seeing the spot and of course the best hobby safety glasses period..

Edit: just wanted to add that you might be able to save a few dollar's if you find them without the case..

Last edited:
On the cheapie better than nothing glasses iv'e had better luck buying from "HDE"
They are thicker lensed, thicker framed, smoother on the edges with no casting flashes. Iv'e compared and measured the lenses and frame's to similar ebay ones and they just are better build wise.
Now thickness doesn't mean better glasses as for example the poly vinyl die mixture can slip through whatever type of QC they might have?
If you do order a pair, I would test them on one of the side lens..
The red "lensed" for blue and green lasers would be the better choice as the have a 35% VLT compared to the green lensed.
You will find out quickly that the Eagles at 50% VLT are far better for seeing the spot and of course the best hobby safety glasses period..

Edit: just wanted to add that you might be able to save a few dollar's if you find them without the case..

i also have a red laser engraver so a green one might be a better all rounder. but i think i am better off buying a red and a blue one.
though i did find a seller where i can buy 5 green ones for 12 dollars. would give me a chance to atleast do a destructive test.

or would you say, forget about the green entirely and find 1 red and 1 blue pair