Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The spam

Snecho

Things have changed a lot around here in the past year. TBH, I miss the way things were. Oh well, you get what you pay for.
I haven't been around the last year and a half, if anyone's noticed, but it seems that you are right

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I think covid has put a lot of people in depression. The spam has somewhat died down a bit which is surprising. I joined lpf sometime in 2008-09ish. I've seen a lot of people come and go. Seen a lot of various peeks in drama. Some of it was actually pretty epic lol but some people left because of it.
Anyone remember the rep wars?

Snecho

I've seen a lot of people come and go. Seen a lot of various peeks in drama. Some of it was actually pretty epic lol but some people left because of it.
Anyone remember the rep wars?
Oh the drama on here over the years has definitely been some the craziest (and weirdest) that I've seen

On a site like this of all places

Last edited:

ixfd64

Posted this in Discord but thought I'd share it here too. One idea to reduce spam would be to add an additional CAPTCHA on the sign-up page. For example, there could be a question like, "What does LASER stand for?"

A side benefit is that this would require the user to do at least some basic research and show that they're serious about lasers. We do this on a math forum that I'm a member of and get far fewer spammers.

Last edited:

Snecho

Posted this in Discord but thought I'd share it here too. One idea to reduce spam would be to add an additional CAPTCHA on the sign-up page. For example, there could be a question like, "What does LASER stand for?"

A side benefit is that this would require the user to do at least some basic research and show that they're serious about lasers. We do this on a math forum that I'm a member of and get far fewer spammers.
Good idea

I've been doing research though, and there is a great solution possible under the XenForo framework. New members can be put under "Moderated" status. This means that any posts they try to make, first have to be seen and approved by a moderator before going public

Then, a moderator can remove the status if the new member's first post appears to be genuine and legit

In theory, this would completely eradicate any bots, spammers, advertisers, or can even be used to check the new member's IP first to see if they are a returning banned member..etc

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
That's gonna be a lot of work for me. I don't get paid to do this ya know ;) But I am glad that I can help keep this place clean. The least I can do for the community. We need to get a new buyer for the forum. Or a group of buyers. With new management we can implement a few new things. Any ideas?

I got spammed again with a sexual one. I did report it as soon as I saw it and did not open the link.

Snecho

That's gonna be a lot of work for me. I don't get paid to do this ya know ;) But I am glad that I can help keep this place clean. The least I can do for the community. We need to get a new buyer for the forum. Or a group of buyers. With new management we can implement a few new things. Any ideas?
I'm confused. New buyers? New management?
Does Avery still own the forum? Has he given up?

I know I've been away for quite a while, but damn

P.S. Perhaps you're right. The other XenForo site that has a version of this implemented, has tens of thousands of active members, a least a dozen active moderators, and is larger and more active in general
Perhaps we are just too small and irrelevant. That also may be why we see so many bots and spammers; it's an easy target

The bots are now advertising vitamin gummies
God you should have been here during the Keto craze 😂

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Avery still owns the forum but he's too busy with other things. He lives a very different life style nowadays. He just doesn't have the time to work on lpf that much.

Snecho

Avery still owns the forum but he's too busy with other things. He lives a very different life style nowadays. He just doesn't have the time to work on lpf that much.
Well that's definitely more than relatable

*Checks inside wallet*

I wonder how much he would sell it for 🤔

Captain Sid

Not sure where to report it, but I received this today in my PM box.

Captain Sid, hеy) Еmilly, 25, fеmаlе. Rаtе my nаkеd phоtоs on sеx dаting sitе, сliсk linк: https//cutt.ly/hotgirl777