Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The saber saga... episode 1, the machining menace

Sta

EPISODE III
REVENGE OF THE RECHARGE PORT

Yesterday I finally completed the tailcap connection. It would have been a simple task if not for the fact that the tailcap was inside out.

Seriously! They powdercoated the inside but not the outside!

So I scratched off the powder coat and soldered a wire through the spring to the edge of the tailcap. It took an hour or so.

And today I received the recharge ports. I would complain about them looking like @#$%, but the real complaint is that they DON'T FIT!

They said the thread diameter was 11 mm. 11 MILLIMETERS! It's more like 7.
Clearly whoever built them doesn't know how to count.

It's okay, though - I've ordered some more; they aren't silver-toned like I wanted but they should do. I still have some uses for the ones I have..

:beer:

That's too bad about your diode but that host looks very nice! I thought you were getting the saber with the black in it but the complete silver looks great as well :D I'd like to see pics of the assembly and build too so I can see what you did with the inside :p Great job m8

Sta

That's too bad about your diode but that host looks very nice! I thought you were getting the saber with the black in it but the complete silver looks great as well :D I'd like to see pics of the assembly and build too so I can see what you did with the inside :p Great job m8

I would have liked the dual tone but the anodized inside would have made the build needlessly difficult. I would have had to add an extra step of removing it and risk destroying the parts. But now the silver has started to grow on me... Really nice host. I will probably be finishing up the build tomorrow, as that is when I will be getting my module back.

Sta

EPISODE IV
A NEW MODULE

I got my new module today from Jordan. It works quite well, and hasn't broken yet. This is good. :D

HOWEVER...

Saberforge originally told me that there was no anodizing on the inside. However, what they told me was a bunch of garbage. The threads are definitely anodized, or are coated with some other material that makes them barely conduct anything at all. All I was able to get was a tiny blue output, less than 5 mW.

As it stands, I'm stuck. I have no idea how to proceed from here. I can run the module at full power from my desktop power supply, but that's about it. Until I can get the threads to conduct electricity, I'm sunk.

Any suggestions...?

As it stands, I'm stuck. I have no idea how to proceed from here. I can run the module at full power from my desktop power supply, but that's about it. Until I can get the threads to conduct electricity, I'm sunk.

Any suggestions...?

This is an easy one, starts with sand and ends with paper. If you didn't get it the answer is sandpaper. What grit you use is up to you, but mostly depends on how thick the coating is, if it's very thick you'll probably want to go at it with 60or 80 grit, but I'd do it by hand so that you don't do any damage to the threads. If it's thin coating you could probably do something like 220 grit or higher so that you get the coating off but leave a smooth finish. You can use 220+ grit even if it's thick coating but you'll be sitting there for a while

Though keep in mind you don't need to sand that much, all it needs is just one contact point and it'll complete the circuit without much resistance.

EPISODE IV
A NEW MODULE

I got my new module today from Jordan. It works quite well, and hasn't broken yet. This is good. :D

HOWEVER...

Saberforge originally told me that there was no anodizing on the inside. However, what they told me was a bunch of garbage. The threads are definitely anodized, or are coated with some other material that makes them barely conduct anything at all. All I was able to get was a tiny blue output, less than 5 mW.

Any suggestions...?

Greased lightening will remove anodizing form threads, but if the outside is galvanized or anodized it will remove that as well so dont let it touch the outside. Pic of threads?

If the part

Last edited:

Sta

EPISODE V
THE SANDPAPER STRIKES BACK

Hello folks!
I sanded down the connections today, and finished up all of the soldering!
So my lightsaber is now functionally complete, including plug-to-charge functionality.

However, during the process something was torn up in the threads on the emitter, and I may have to either send it back or repair the damage myself. Only a single point is problematic so it should not be too difficult to fix.

I will make a new thread with photos in a few minutes! :D

Last edited:
What do you think about the NUBM07E diode a year later? I was planning on getting one of those for my second build.

I have to print one in PETG color steel, as the PETG resists up to 340 ° C unlike the various ABS, PLA, NYLON, PET ..!

Anyway :gj: STA