Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Olight Baton died...lets put a PLTB450B in it.

Well, I'm sad to report my Olight baton flashlight I was so happy with last month bit the dust. I think in my travel bag the side switch turned on, later testing I discovered the LED was actually fine but the driver was fried.
Pity. At least most of it was recycled.

I tried to get the driver out gracefully but opted for a steel punch. Hell of a driver they put in these units.

Parts:
1x PLTB450B diode
1x X-switch 1.25A
2x Keeppower 14500 batteries
1x survival laser copper heat sink machined
1x aluminum pill & host
1x new single element lens for Aixiz.
***note the acrylic lens in the photographs is temporary***

The heatsink at this point is a bit small but I didn't design this build for long duty cycles. The momentary switch should aid in short run times. The diode is relatively efficient and on par with the data sheet. I'm getting just shy of 1.6W @ 1.25Amps.

Press the diode and here we go!
The Vin lead was soldered to the driver then was screwed into the pill body to make contact with the host. This is good because I didn't have to mess with the case pin on the diode :D

Everything was thermal apoxyed in place.

Add a shunt for support. Getting the button to line up with the one pre existing on the host was a nightmare.
I wouldn't call it a pill...it was more like a suppository. Pain in my A$$.
After it wouldn't line up properly I took the button out of the host and put my own in. Herein lies the problem. The button is relatively easy to depress, for this reason the batteries will have to be taken out when not in use. Later this week I might glue a ring around the button to act as a guard.

Getting this in took some finesse. With a bit of arctic silver 5 and filing the bezel threaded on the top to hold the unit in. The battery dimensions were slightly longer than I had measured for so the tail cap also had to be reworked. Over all I am very happy with this build.

:thanks:
Jefferson

Last edited:

DTR

That is actually a pretty nice little host. Good job rebuilding it.:beer:

If the side switch is too easy to press, you might consider a custom tailcap with a clicky on/off switch so that you can turn the laser off when you're carrying it in your pocket. I just got a momentary host from Ehgemus with exactly this feature — I'm sure he could make you a one. Mrcrouse can do anodizing as well (I imagine he could machine you a tailcap as well if you wanted to involve only one person). I love momentary lasers but consider a master switch a must to avoid "hot pocket" situations.

That's a slick build, definitely something to be proud of. Well done!

Last edited:
If the side switch is too easy to press, you might consider a custom tailcap with a clicky on/off switch so that you can turn the laser off when you're carrying it in your pocket.

That is a great suggestion, unfortunately Im tapped out on funds. The host/original flashlight came with a "stealth" tail switch but because I ordered protected cells I had to take the switch out.
I got the light from illumination supply but I don't know if they still offer it. It has a hefty price tag on Amazon.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice rebuild job DwU, that Olight is a good looking host.
Hope your reincarnated baton lives a long life! :beer:

That is a great suggestion, unfortunately Im tapped out on funds. The host/original flashlight came with a "stealth" tail switch but because I ordered protected cells I had to take the switch out.
I got the light from illumination supply but I don't know if they still offer it. It has a hefty price tag on Amazon.

Well, you don't have to get the tailcap today... put it on the "future upgrades" schedule :)

Well, you don't have to get the tailcap today... put it on the "future upgrades" schedule :)

I have a couple tail switches on my upgrade list including one to use with a boost drive on a kryton groove.

Ahhhhh tail switches...sort of a vital step in most laser builds.