Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The 'Not Used' Pin. What's it for?

buzz

Can someone please explain what the 'Not Used' pin is for? It is obviously there for a reason and I see it connects directly to one side of the laser thingy (you can tell I'm a pro!).
Thanks in advance...

its a nuetral, most times the diode is bonded to a heatsink so its most of the time not used.

well it i think depends on the diode some are case - and the can share the case neutral path but in a case positive diode it would be different

Last edited:

daguin

Sometimes it is for an internal photodiode that is used to monitor the output of the laser. Sometimes it is used to provide an electrical path in a particular application. Sometimes it is simply an unused pin that is still included because it is cheaper to include it than it is to re-tool the manufacturing plant ;)

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
Sometimes it is for an internal photodiode that is used to monitor the output of the laser. Sometimes it is used to provide an electrical path in a particular application. Sometimes it is simply an unused pin that is still included because it is cheaper to include it than it is to re-tool the manufacturing plant ;)

Peace,
dave

thanks ,I should have waited for a pro to explain it. :p

buzz

Thanks guys. One other thing.. I'm using a driver from a green 100mw laser that I blew up and it is working and burns stuff (just) but the beam is not visible hardly. I'm having trouble focusing it but I'm getting there. Is there a lens I can harvest to help? I have other broken pointers parts and DVDRW drives. The laser I'm using is from a 2008 DVDRW that was standard issue in a Packard Bellend P.C.
Oh, it's an open can type if that info helps any?

Last edited:
sometimes you can solder it to your negative pin so that way you use your diode case as the negative path of the laser.

please post pix of your laser. do you have green light coming out? if not, and you still are burning stuff then that is the ir coming out and is dangerous because you can't see it.

michael.

Last edited:

daguin

Thanks guys. One other thing.. I'm using a driver from a green 100mw laser that I blew up and it is working and burns stuff (just) but the beam is not visible hardly. I'm having trouble focusing it but I'm getting there. Is there a lens I can harvest to help? I have other broken pointers parts and DVDRW drives. The laser I'm using is from a 2008 DVDRW that was standard issue in a Packard Bellend P.C.

It is unclear to me what diode you are using here.

What color is it?

I would also like to see your host/mount before making any recommendations

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
should be a red, but its not that visable as a beam, esp that close to IR, smoke or glycerin in the air will help see the beam better but the spot should be red, if used to cut I would focus it for smallest dot, any cheap ir camera or light amp IR goggle should make it a very bright beam. Some normal cameras work to I can focus a near IR beam with my old pc cam.

buzz

It is unclear to me what diode you are using here.

What color is it?

I would also like to see your host/mount before making any recommendations

Peace,
dave

Thanks Dave here are some pics of my stuff!

Attachments

• Picture 57.jpg
    Picture 57.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Picture 58.jpg
    Picture 58.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Picture 59.jpg
    Picture 59.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Picture 56.jpg
    Picture 56.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 92

buzz

should be a red, but its not that visable as a beam, esp that close to IR, smoke or glycerin in the air will help see the beam better but the spot should be red, if used to cut I would focus it for smallest dot, any cheap ir camera or light amp IR goggle should make it a very bright beam. Some normal cameras work to I can focus a near IR beam with my old pc cam.

Wicked idea, thanks.

buzz

How can I make a green pointer? I got loads of them little filter thingys that come on the green ones. Do I need a certain diode that I can't get out of a DVD recorder to make one?

greens are a whole different beast..

you need an 808nm diode to shine through a matched set of crystals. aligning is the hard part. i don't think any body here is really make their own green pointer. although will find a couple threads where a member has actually achieved green light.

michael.

buzz

greens are a whole different beast..

you need an 808nm diode to shine through a matched set of crystals. aligning is the hard part. i don't think any body here is really make their own green pointer. although will find a couple threads where a member has actually achieved green light.

michael.

Thanks to everyone who helped me understand the basics here tonight. I am a new member and new to lasers and I really appreciate you all taking time out to answer my questions. I have changed the driver for one that used to drive a red pointer and it seems to be working much better so I will persevere with that.
Many thanks again.

Phill.

daguin

You look like you are getting it under control.

Enjoy it and read, read, read

Peace,
dave