Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Minamoto Kobayashi Sugar Rockets Project!

I didn't say the combustion products of perchlorates were toxic. It is a matter of fact that the perechlorates are toxic according to many sources including the EPA.

Well I didn't say that the perchlorates weren't toxic. If you handle them safely (as with almost any chemical) it shouldn't be a problem, even for the amateur.

Benm

EDIT: according to Wikipedia, the main exhaust gasses from an APCP motor (aside from the metal oxide) are H2O, CO2, and HCl. There must also be ammonia or something in there as well.

IF it outputs both ammonia and hydrogen chloride it'll probably taste like licorice ;)

HCl as an exhaust gas may seem bad but it will dilute in the atmosphere quickly when coming out of a rockets rear end, so it's not really that big of a deal.

The instability of perchlorates in solid rocket fuel mixtures would be a much larger concern, which is why most amateur rocketists will problably not use it. Perhaps if you are actually going to space and every last newton of specific impulse counts it could be worth it.

As I remember it, a newton is a measure of force, not specific impulse. Impulse is a measure of power which is the force X distance/ time.

Last edited:
Perchlorate is much more stable compared to the permanganate.
The best flash power is made with perchlorate and dark aluminum, as explanated in this video:

Of course big precautions must be taken when preparing this extremely powerful compound.
Today the pyrotechnic industry prefer to use perchlorates instead black power.

Iron oxide is just rust. Does it come in a different color? :crackup:

Yes it sure does..

Black or Iron II Oxide. FeO

There are also Metastages of Iron III Oxide which vary in colour from brown- yellow, brown-red and bright red.