Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The lube thread

Rifter

So since I know most people store there lasers batteries out, at least I do. I thought I would start a thread about lubes to use on the threads for our hosts. As they see so much use of tailcap on and off lube is essential.

As im sure many of you have found the threads on cheap hosts like the C6 and 501b's are pretty bad, and dry they are just plan horrible feeling but adding a quality lube can make a huge difference.

Personally I use Nyogel on non o-ring hosts and Krytox on o-ring hosts. I find the krytox is a great product it stays on for a long time is ok with either silicon or rubber O-rings and you need VERY little of it, I have a 30ml bottle ive been using for years and I own over 40 flashlights/lasers that I use it on, I reapply every time a light goes underwater for any length of time or every few years whichever comes first.

So what do you guys use to lube up your lasers :)

Last edited:

Small drop of light machine oil. Keep in mind the threads are the electrical connection for the tail cap, you can't totally grease them!

upaa27

I piss on mine...

Just use some machine oil or if you don't want to buy anything vegetable oil can work

IsaacT

I am using Super Lube I got from The Custom Saber Shop. They are like 20 cents per tube but the shipping is expensive so make sure you have a decent sized order or just buy it elsewhere.

PS - if anyone is wondering why I bought from them look at my signature. :) Coming soon to a build thread near you.

Last edited:

Rifter

I am using Super Lube I got from The Custom Saber Shop. They are like 20 cents per tube but the shipping is expensive so make sure you have a decent sized order or just buy it elsewhere.

PS - if anyone is wondering why I bought from them look at my signature. :) Coming soon to a build thread near you.

I hate you for posting that link, I'm going to be up all damn night now looking at that website and the forums...

IsaacT

If you have any questions about them PM me. Also if you want a sneak peek PM me as well. :) I am so excited I am just about dying constantly in anxiety haha. This plan has been 2 months in the making so far and I am so close I can taste it.

I don't usually lube threads, but for O-rings, I just use whatever silicone grease my local hardware store
has. They have it in the plumbing department.

For threads, I just keep them very clean and assemble very carefully to avoid crossthreading. I find
that grease will attract more dirt and sand and just cause more wear. If the threads are loose enough,
greasing them can actually reduce friction and make it easier to strip them out. This is the same
reason why it's bad to oil or grease the lug nuts on your car.

Last edited:
I agree with TLS and don't use lubricant on my laser hosts, rough threading eventually wears in, but this test convinced me to use FP-10 on everything else.

Last edited: