Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thanks for the great forum!

Hello from Portland, Maine!

I have been reading this forum for the last 6 months, and finally feel like I should join to contribute. I have always loved lighting and lasers have fascinated me, but I had no idea there was a resource out there like this, or I would have been here years ago. Some of the posters here are just amazingly knowlegeable, and I really have learned more in the last 6 months than I could have learned on in a lifetime on my own. For that, I am very grateful.

I have taken the advice of several forum members posts, picking up a few lasers here and there, and every time, I have been pleased with the outcome. I am interested in building my own, but my living situation (lot of travel, small apt) really doesn't allow for me to have an electronics desk where I can easily solder and assemble. Still, I drool over all the awesome Jayrob, FlamingPyro and Eghemus hosts. Someday, I will have a good setup that allows me to really immerse myself in this hobby, but for now, I just have to live vicariously through those of you who have some darned impressive workshops and setups to build and test these devices.

I did order an Arctic 3, way, way back on June 14th (Order 492xx) and of course, I am still waiting for it. I'll say no more about that, as many of you have expressed many of the same feelings.

I do have a Ray Foss RF660-200mw-FWT on its way, and I have been much happier with the service from these guys. Even with the holiday, they have been communicative and reliable.

Most of the other lasers I have aren't worth discussing, since I really don't have a way to measure their power, but I have couple 660s, a nice 532, and a 405, all in the pen style. But I really want to support folks on here who put a lot of time and love into this hobby, and I'm hoping to order a few lasers through folks here.

So this is my introduction, and if I could buy you guys a beer for all of the great information I have learned, I would do it. If you're in the Portland, ME area, send me an email and I'd be happy to carry through on the offer!

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing, I take the eye safety thing very seriously. I have a pair of laservision goggles (http://www.lasersafety.com/product_detail.cfm?market=5&catid=1&subcat=1&prodid=12, with the following filter, http://www.lasersafety.com/product_detail.cfm?market=5&catid=1&subcat=2&prodid=22) already for my Arctic, since I normally wear glasses and I need real goggles to fit over them, and I wanted real protection. Love these goggles, and just wish I had a use for them. Expensive, but better than being blind!

Last edited:

Welcome to LPF!

Ya I also ordered an Arctic,(order #509xx) but I canceled. I won't wait that long, you have more patience than I do!

I've been traveling a lot (CA, WA, NJ, PA), so I keep hoping I will come home one of these days and I'll be surprised by it showing up.

I'm patient because I got in before the price hike, and because I wanted the smart switch for lower power, and I really like the host, but believe me, I have been tempted to cancel many times. Signing up here is one of the steps towards convincing myself to cancel. If I can get a 445 from one of the builders here, most of which appear to have more power anyway, I will most likely cancel and never do business with them again.

And thanks for the welcome!

Serac

Welcome, I too have limited electronics exp. and tools, I ordered an arctic and have been reading here to learn about lasers and electronics and am hoping to cancel my WL order and buy from a LPF member (doing as much as I can myself)