Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

testload/driver problem. my wiring could be wrong.

This is my first attempt to use a test load to set the driver.
it is entirely possible I built this wrong hmm :thinking:
I decided to buy an X-boost V7 with an adjustable output. I built a test load with a schematic found here on LPF. I used a 3W 1ohm resister and 7 IN4005 diodes. to power the driver I taped one 18650 to wires(not pictured) and soldered them to the driver leaving one wire open to manually complete the circuit.
the problem
when I connect the circuit the driver gets really hot and my DMM reads extremely low values and does not change when I adj the pot.
I am using this driver for the new 520mn diode and shooting for 550-600ma
my host hasn't arrived yet.

9029-image.jpg

9030-image.jpg

9032-image.jpg

9031-image.jpg

This picture only shows where I am measuring. just trying to trouble shoot I hooked up to my DC power supply to look for a voltage drop. ughhh I feel like this is easy and im just doing something silly wrong.
9028-image.jpg

let me know if you need more info. I have checked my soldering joints and everything is solid.
help

That driver Vin is on top of the driver the your bottom soldering is for nothing that's where you mount it to a heatsink. See the V+ V- on the top that's where your weld your Vin.

Tmack

Aw man. Well at least you learned. I need to learn more about building test loads. I'm at the point where they will be more useful than when I first came here.

When I try to adj the pot my DMM readings don't change. I rewired my connections to the driver as jander6442 discribed and nothing. To rule out the battery I hooked it up to my DC power supply. When I bypass the test load and hook my DMM to LD- and LD+ it reads the same as my power supply and the pot does nothing. The driver just gets VERY hot.

Edit. Let me know if you need to see more pictures

Last edited:
When I try to adj the pot my DMM readings don't change. I rewired my connections to the driver as jander6442 discribed and nothing. To rule out the battery I hooked it up to my DC power supply. When I bypass the test load and hook my DMM to LD- and LD+ it reads the same as my power supply and the pot does nothing. The driver just gets VERY hot.

Edit. Let me know if you need to see more pictures

If a driver is passing all/no current it is safe to assume it is dead. :( unless you set the driver to a higher current than the input current

Sorry to hear about that, I broke my driver first time I tries to set it myself.

You are not alone my friend :)

Don't throw it out. It may actually still work or maybe it is fixable

-Matt

Last edited: